Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG attempt tomorrow, water question, please help....

Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Catfish1320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First AG attempt tomorrow, water question, please help....

As the heading states I will be attempting my first AG brew tomorrow. When I was doing Extracts and then PM, I never worried about water. I just purchased bottled spring water, and used that. My question now is, can I still do that with good results? I have tried reading as much as I can about water, and I feel like Im getting myself a bit lost, and want to concentrate more on procedure now. At the same time, I want to still be able to make good beer. Im brewing an APA tomorrow with 80% Pilsner. Should I do anything to the water, or just use it out of the bottle? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

You can drive yourself batty playing with your water. If you were happy with the flavor profiles of your previous beers, then using that same water is not going to change anything. Same source, same profile. The only thing changing in your beers is what you do in the mash and boil.

Keep on keeping on with that water!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
legasus233
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would worry more about your process now more than anything. Get that down then fuss with water. I am guessing bottled spring water Ph should lend itself to good brewing. If you were working with suspect sourse water like a well or bad city water, you would want to pay more attention since a Ph level that is way out of range can definately impact how well your mshing and efficiency goes. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Catfish1320
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

OK guys thank you. I never made a bad beer with bottled spring water, well at least not because of the water. So I will concentrate more on process and procedure, and just use the water as is.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
ByramMike
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish1320 View Post
OK guys thank you. I never made a bad beer with bottled spring water, well at least not because of the water. So I will concentrate more on process and procedure, and just use the water as is.
Enjoy your brew day!