How to change my avatar to black? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > How to change my avatar to black?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
DromJohn
5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Macon, Georgia
Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts

SWMBO has taken my avatar/logo to a local trophy shop to be etched on glasses. They are willing to deal with the pale green (which I call oasis green) but recommend that I convert it to black.

My attempts are failing. Any suggestions?

I've tried to change colors in both Photoshop and Paint, but end up with a splotchy mess.

The logo was made at http://www.says-it.com/seal/ but it now gives me a "Forbidden" message. So I cannot recreate it there.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to try to create a new version Photoshop, but I'm partial to the says-it version.

Drinking: Innis & Gunn Rum Aged; NB Conundrum Session IPA; Bush de NoŽl (Scaldis NoŽl); Innis & Gunn Bourbon Stout; Theobroma; Redhook Double Black Stout IV; Leftover ESB; Cuvťe Des Trolls; St. Landelin la Divine Inspiration.
Secondary: Hibiscus Mango Blonde
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Have you tried to render the photo to black and white?

I'd offer to do it for you, but I'm out of town for the weekend. If its not a pressing issue and you can wait til Monday I'll be more than happy to do it.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
DromJohn

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Macon, Georgia

No to rendering. I didn't see it as an option in either Photoshop or Paint. What's it under?
Drinking: Innis & Gunn Rum Aged; NB Conundrum Session IPA; Bush de NoŽl (Scaldis NoŽl); Innis & Gunn Bourbon Stout; Theobroma; Redhook Double Black Stout IV; Leftover ESB; Cuvťe Des Trolls; St. Landelin la Divine Inspiration.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
DromJohn

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Macon, Georgia

Back home I new layered it an saturated to a middling gray. I did not see the "Black & White" option.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
steber
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Kingston, Pennsylvania
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

As I'm not at the keys, I'm unsure of where to find it. I believe under the tab "image" there is a render option with a bunch of settings. One of them is b&w. Sorry I can't be more help as I don't have my computer with me.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
DromJohn

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Macon, Georgia

While I couldn't get it darker than a middling gray in Photoshop, I did get it to a much darker hunter green in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. We'll see what the trophy shop thinks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drom John Home Brew MOPM.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	96911

Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Haddon Heights, NJ
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Gimp has a 'color to' option if I remember correctly. If it still needs tweaking it may be worth a look.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Warthaug
Recipes 

Apr 2011
, Ontario
Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts

Here you go.

The way I did this was:
1) download the free scientific-image procesing program ImageJ
2) Convert to 8-bit (greyscale) image
3) Use the threshold feature to convert to true B&W.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drom John Home Brew MOPM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	97131  

DromJohn Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
DromJohn

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Macon, Georgia

Thanks y'all.
We have some options.