lots of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GucciBrau

Reaction score
This is my 5th beer and my first all grain as well as first dark beer. It is a one gallon brooklyn brewshop chocolate maple porter kit. I used cracker barrel maple syrup which is 55% maple 45% cane. I did filter the grain.

I am also concerned because the end of the blow off tube got knocked out of the water for a while.

The carboy is literally half full of sediment

ForumRunner_20130125_005337.jpg

ForumRunner_20130125_005356.jpg

ForumRunner_20130125_005520.jpg

Don't worry about the blow off tube.

Crash cool the fermenter for several days to compact the sediment.

It's just cold break. Proteins, grain, hop, yeast particulate. It'll have compacted down considerably by the time the beer is ready to rack for bottling.

Put the two above statements together. Let it have time to completely ferment and the trub will settle a lot, then chill it well for a couple days and it will compact more yet. Don't chill it until the ferment is done though.

All grain will definitely get you a lot more sediment than will extract brewing, so it's normal to see these types of results. I'd bet it's not half-full of sediment, more like an inverted cone shape. It will naturally settle over time, as has been said.

You can use a clarifying agent to help settle out the trub sooner. I find it to be more desirable in all-grain since there's so much more particulate left in the beer, as compared to extract brewing. Congrats on your first all grain!

Hey GucciBrau how did it come out? I'm going to be brewing that same recipe kit this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back