Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about Secondary Fermentation

Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #21
DM3MD157
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I thought you want to aerate when you go from your primary to secondary? I could be very well wrong!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #22
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I thought you want to aerate when you go from your primary to secondary? I could be very well wrong!
The only time you aerate is just before you pitch the yeast.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #23
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRonco View Post
The only time you aerate is just before you pitch the yeast.
Yes. Great answer. You can expose your pre-fermentation wort to all the oxygen you want. Once it has fermented though, it's the LAST thing you want to do.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
DM3MD157
Recipes 

Gotcha, so when I rack it, I don't want any splashing at all. Perhaps I should put the siphon hose inside the wort (on the secondary) when I siphon. I just ordered a 5 gallon better bottle, should come around the time I want to transfer... hopefully! I think I'll dry hop 1 week before bottling. When you dry hop, you just throw the hops in the bottle? Is three weeks bottle conditioning too much time?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Siphon silently. There should be no sound - or very little when you transfer to the Better Bottle. If you Star-San the entire hose it's not a problem to have it sitting in what should then be beer - and no longer wort.

3 weeks bottle conditioning isn't too long at all - but good luck waiting. I find that I'll try the first bottle after a week just to see how things are going. If I like it there is a good chance that I'll be into it within the next 4 or 5 days. It will certainly continue to mellow out and blend a little better the longer you wait while it's in the bottle. The carbonation becomes a little more refined as well. Drinking it soon will result in very gassy burps - which can be fun too.
Some bottles will be splendid several months to a year later. Some even more. Depends on the style.

As for dry hopping - I yield to others with more experience in that field. I'm not a big hop guy... So I tend to stick to low, normal hop schedules in recipes during the boil.