Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What if it's "ready" early?
View Poll Results: Should I Bottle or Let Age?
Bottle it now! 2 50.00%
Wait until it's properly aged! 1 25.00%
Other (please describe below) 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
monkeybox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default What if it's "ready" early?

I brewed my first sour, a Northern Brewer Lambic extract kit, in late august (Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend). I had a couple Jolly Pumpkins while I was brewing, so I added the dregs, as well. This has been sitting in a bucket ever since.

A couple weeks ago, I was curious, so I decided to take a sample, and it was fantastic. It's got a great sourness and a little bit of funk. It tastes great.

The description on the kit said, "Don't make this beer unless you are willing to let it sit for at least 18 months."

Okay, I can tuck it in a corner and try to forget about it, but I like it now, will it really improve? I'm tempted to bottle it and start another one to let sit 18 months.

What should I do?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

You could bottle some - and transfer the rest to a smaller container for longer bulk aging. (A smaller container so it isn't sitting with lots of oxygen on it).

If you like it, bottle it and make another batch! You could always bottle age a bunch of it. So have a few now, and a couple every month. See how the flavor profile continues to change as it ages.

Drinking is fun.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 144

If the gravity is stable you should be fine. Jolly Pumpkin dregs are fast and agressive, good way to make a quick sour. I did an amber buckwheat ale soured with JP dregs that was ready in about six months.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I won best of show and got second in the sour ale category with an eight month old lambic. I believe it was due to the Jolly Pumpkin dregs.
Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I would bottle it if the gravity was stable, but if you are going to age it for over a year it should probably be in glass or a Better Bottler and not a bucket.

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey

Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2332

I wonder if the bucket helped it along, too. I know extended aging in a bucket cause problems, but maybe the higher rate of oxygen transfer sped things up, too?