Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with my first all grain recipe

Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
ExplosiveJoseph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with my first all grain recipe

Does anyone think this looks about right for an Amber?
5 Gal
10lb 2 row
1lb Munich
8oz crystal 80L
6oz victory
4oz wheat
4oz cara-pils/dextrin
1oz Willamette at 60,20 and 5 min each
WLP001
Is the Cara pils unnecessary because of the wheat?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, I would leave out either the carapils or the wheat. Personally, I don't think you need the carapils. The wheat will help with head retention and the crystal 80 will give you some body. (You might also consider mashing at a higher temperature -- say 154-155).

I think you are a bit light on the hops. Consider bittering with something like Northern Brewer, then adding an ounce of Willamette at 30 & 15 each, and dry hop with another ounce of Willamette.

If you are looking for a more "English" flavor, consider WLP002. If you want more of that west coast style, consider dryhopping w/ Cascade or Centennial.

Just some suggestions. If you make your beer as is, it will be very good.

Primary: American Pale Ale, Coffee Porter(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Saison
Planned: Either a brown ale or a Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
Yes, I would leave out either the carapils or the wheat. Personally, I don't think you need the carapils. The wheat will help with head retention and the crystal 80 will give you some body. (You might also consider mashing at a higher temperature -- say 154-155).

I think you are a bit light on the hops. Consider bittering with something like Northern Brewer, then adding an ounce of Willamette at 30 & 15 each, and dry hop with another ounce of Willamette.

If you are looking for a more "English" flavor, consider WLP002. If you want more of that west coast style, consider dryhopping w/ Cascade or Centennial.

Just some suggestions. If you make your beer as is, it will be very good.
Agreed

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
ExplosiveJoseph
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. Good advice.