Recipe Help - Special Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orz

Reaction score
My wife got me an ingredients kit for Christmas. It claims to be a Pilsner kit, but the ingredients don't seem quite right for the style. It came with:

3.3 lbs Muntons Light LME
2 lbs Muntons Light DME
1oz First Gold hops (pellet, 7.3% AA)
1oz First Gold hops (leaf, 7% AA)

...along with some priming sugar and a packet of nondescript "Muntons yeast".

I couldn't find too much info on the First Gold hops. They seem to be more appropriate for a Special Bitter, so that's what I plan to make with all this. This will be my third brew and I don't have experience making recipes, so I put it to you-

What specialty grains should I add to get the right color/body?
I was thinking of boiling the pellet hops for 60mins for bittering, and splitting the leaf hops into two additions at 20min/flameout. Does this sound reasonable?
What yeast should I pitch?

Pretty sure it's an ale yeast. A quick google search turned up this, which looks like what I got:

http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-556-muntons-yeast.aspx?gclid=CMronLirgrUCFWlxQgodvTUAnQ

While I'd like to use all of the other ingredients in this beer, since I've got them already, the yeast is the one thing I'm not dead-set on using. If there's a more specific liquid yeast that's likely to yield a better-tasting beer, I'll use it instead.

Latest posts

Back