how do you bottle your mead? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > how do you bottle your mead?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #31
DaveVanO
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 93
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


How do most of you remove labels from your bottles? I have a lot of bottles I have saved since beginning to brew. Ranging from pop/soda bottles, wine bottles, grolsch, vodka bottles, etc etc etc. What/how do you use to remove the labels from majority of bottles?

Also. I plan on bottle using my Mr Beer keg, rack into it and use the spigot to bottle.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #32
mooney
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts


Are the brown grolsh bottles from the 70s? I got 2 crates of them off some guy in the pub. Dish washer gets labels off no bother if you get them while the bottles are still hot



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 167 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
I just scored a 240 bottle rack off CL for $75. One bottle rests at a slant on top for display and the rest or laid on their sides in each column slot. The burgundy bottles don't play well with others when stored on their sides.
Great finds opus. For the burgundy bottles alternate them neck facing forward, bottom facing forward, then as you build a layer you will find you place the top bottle in the opposite direction. Or just stash neck down in wine boxes.

FWIW, even if you store on side any sediment redistributes into the bottle. But side storage is great for keeping cork moist.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 167 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post
Are the brown grolsh bottles from the 70s? I got 2 crates of them off some guy in the pub. Dish washer gets labels off no bother if you get them while the bottles are still hot
They are commercially available still, EZCaps may be one maker/distributor of them, and refers to them as amber. I have a few cases of 1L bottles that you just reminded me about!!
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #35
Inner10
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanO View Post
How do most of you remove labels from your bottles? I have a lot of bottles I have saved since beginning to brew. Ranging from pop/soda bottles, wine bottles, grolsch, vodka bottles, etc etc etc. What/how do you use to remove the labels from majority of bottles?

Also. I plan on bottle using my Mr Beer keg, rack into it and use the spigot to bottle.
Plastic decals I just peel off then soak in hot water and oxy to get the goo off. Paper labels will fall of with a hot soak as well. Foil labels are stuck a pain they are not worth removing.
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #36
TedLarsen
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Strongsville, Ohio
Posts: 65
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Here's what I've found works well for (most) wine bottles and beer bottles. Fill the bottles with hot water (no soap or anything -- the heat just helps melt the glue). Soak the filled bottles in a tub filled with hot water and just a drop or two of dishwashing soap. Be careful not to get the soapy water into the bottles, or make sure you rinse the >heck< out of them (which is probably a good idea always anyway). 10 or 15 minutes later, most labels rub right off.

For me, in my laziness, if they don't come off easily, I don't even bother with working them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
Inner10
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLarsen View Post
Here's what I've found works well for (most) wine bottles and beer bottles. Fill the bottles with hot water (no soap or anything -- the heat just helps melt the glue). Soak the filled bottles in a tub filled with hot water and just a drop or two of dishwashing soap. Be careful not to get the soapy water into the bottles, or make sure you rinse the >heck< out of them (which is probably a good idea always anyway). 10 or 15 minutes later, most labels rub right off.

For me, in my laziness, if they don't come off easily, I don't even bother with working them.
I clean many bottles with Palmolive, just give it three blasts of hot water with a bottle jet washer and you won't have a trace of detergent.
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
opus345's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 704
Liked 177 Times on 133 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Great finds opus. For the burgundy bottles alternate them neck facing forward, bottom facing forward, then as you build a layer you will find you place the top bottle in the opposite direction. Or just stash neck down in wine boxes.

FWIW, even if you store on side any sediment redistributes into the bottle. But side storage is great for keeping cork moist.
Saramc,

Thanks for the idea. I gave it a try and maybe it is the design of the rack, but those burgundy bottles are evil.


__________________
Primary: Skeeter Pee
Secondary: Meads: Carmel Apple, Wines: Sangiovese, Dragon's Blood, Viognier, Beer: None
On Deck: Dragon's Blood Blueberry, Double Dragon's Blood Original, Pinot Noir


Sleepycat Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mead newbie question: how to make a bottle conditioned, sweet, sparkling mead? weirdboy Mead Forum 42 07-08-2016 04:54 AM
How best to bottle mead videoman Mead Forum 8 06-23-2016 02:13 AM
When do I bottle my mead? brill Mead Forum 13 05-17-2012 01:13 AM
First mead in the bottle! jpuf Mead Forum 7 09-07-2007 12:43 AM
When to Bottle Mead? 8string Mead Forum 2 01-26-2007 02:13 AM


Forum Jump