Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > how do you bottle your mead?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bottle my mead in wine bottles without a label, well ok, a peice of masking tape with a note of what it is (cinimon, clove, nutmeg) and after 3 days tip them on their side - so the corks don't dry out. I generally don't 12oz them although I could since I have beer and wine bottles. Sometimes I go to 375ml instead of 750's, mainly because I have a few of the smaller bottles and want versatility later. I use a typical lever corker (the step up from the hammer corker).

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
mooney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have spent a fortune on Belgium beers in flip top bottles for the bottles, at Christmas the offy was selling Christmas tree beer at 12 a bottle but the bottle was smart enough to make it worth buying

Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticMeadMaker View Post
it prevents the corks from drying out over time
Seems that most recommend storing wine on their sides which will allow the corks to stay moist and not shrink.

Storing them upside down allows sediment to accumulate in the neck and when righted for opening, the sediment is then redistributed throughout the liquid.

Anyone else have storage orientation ideas?
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #24
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I found a Portuguese floor corker on CL for $40. I let friends and family know that I'm looking for empty wine bottles and boom, the floodgates opened. Seems like every month I'm getting a couple cases. I break out the Oxyclean and scrub brush. Let me soak for a couple days and the labels either fall off or come off easily with the brush. I use a plastic knife on the more stubborn labels.

I'm actually to the point of ready to give away 3-4 cases of cleaned burgundy bottles. I just scored a 240 bottle rack off CL for $75. One bottle rests at a slant on top for display and the rest or laid on their sides in each column slot. The burgundy bottles don't play well with others when stored on their sides.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
I found a Portuguese floor corker on CL for $40. I let friends and family know that I'm looking for empty wine bottles and boom, the floodgates opened. Seems like every month I'm getting a couple cases. I break out the Oxyclean and scrub brush. Let me soak for a couple days and the labels either fall off or come off easily with the brush. I use a plastic knife on the more stubborn labels.

I'm actually to the point of ready to give away 3-4 cases of cleaned burgundy bottles. I just scored a 240 bottle rack off CL for $75. One bottle rests at a slant on top for display and the rest or laid on their sides in each column slot. The burgundy bottles don't play well with others when stored on their sides.
sounds like you could sell bottles on craigslist.

I found that when I let friends know I needed bottles, I suddenly got bottles also. I now recycles bottles that I feel don't make sense to keep. (painted labels, etc)

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
I need to find better methods to bottle one gallon batches. I ended up knocking mine over with the huge beer racking cane and lost a small amount. I also got yeast in a few bottles after that. I was bottling a JAOM.

Would it be best to transfer to a 2 gallon bucket with a spigot and bottle?
I bottle 1 gallon batches straight from the carboy with a mini auto-siphon and a shortened racking cain.

As for bottling, I use several types for each batch. For 5 gallons, it goes something like:

10 Flip Top bottles for early consumption (although I've had some last 2+ years without problems
12-14 Beer Bottles with crown caps for competitions or longer aging
10 Corked Wine Bottles that can be used for Gifts and and Show

Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Funnage
Recipes 

I'm lucky to keep it that long. I taste too much too often.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #28
goiked
Long Time Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

16/15 oz Grolsch bottles. Too bad they don't make the brown ones like they did in the 70's. I'll also buy beer that have those wire tops bottles just for mead.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
TeufelHundenM198
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From the mead photo thread:

I have a bunch of those frosted bottles from the LHBS, and I also reuse all the corked wine bottles I buy. Corker, I just use one of those two handle deals I got on Amazon.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #30
EndlessPurple
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got a box of 30 of some frosted bottles my lhbs had on sale. Really cool looking bottles only they do not fit in one of my wine refridgerators, and only in certain slots of my other one. They are too tall and hit the door.