Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary question
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Secondary question

Let the groans begin....

I couldn't find an answer to my exact question, but I'm sure someone will link a thread that covers this exact topic. Sorry in advance.

Anyway, I've never done a secondary. I never had a reason to in the past. However, I brewed a 1.100 imperial stout that I want to add coffee and vanilla beans to. This will require a secondary. My question is this: After I rack to secondary and then rack to the bottling bucket, will there be enough yeast to produce carbonation at bottling? Is there enough yeast in suspension to accomplish this? Yeah, I know, silly question.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

While I've never done this personally, my understanding from people who have is that there will be plenty of yeast still viable and able to carbonate the bottles. Plenty of people on here have reported success at bottling a long term aged beer (up to 10 months from what I've read) without needing to repitch.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

First, be sure the beer is at FG! Then rack and add the coffee and vanilla beans.

There will be plenty of yeast left to carbonate unless you are planning on secondary longer than 4 months, IMO
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, there is enough yeast in suspension and will enjoy eating your additions. I usually rack to a secondary and have never had a problem with the yeast gobbling up the additions and settling to the bottom.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2899 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Yes, there will STILL be plenty of cells to do the job...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew