Dry hopping cider for drinkability? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Dry hopping cider for drinkability?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 953
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts



I love this Graff recipe I have been reading about here and I am really excited to try some at home for myself in a 5 or 6 gallon batch.
But I am planning to possibly go commercial and I don't think I can make Graff because that would require a microbrewed type license and I am just going to do a specialty wine license.
Can you get a drinkable cider faster by dry hopping?

I have never made any beer and don't really know about hops but I wonder if the hops mellows out or balances the flavor and if there's any way to get a drinkable cider without aging by dry hopping?


__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,245
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts


I think that sorbating, pasteurizing or filtering then force carbing would be the best way to get a drinkable cider to market while its young. Residual sugars will trick the mind into thinking it's more mellow than it actually is.

Wait...can you filter yeast out and not filter out sugars?

I've just never been able to put cider and hops together mentally.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
BWN
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Dexter, NY
Posts: 695
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


I have had commercial hopped cider and it was very good. I assume it was dry hopped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
LeBreton
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,129
Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts


Dry hopping a cider will not reduce the time it takes to make a batch, since you're adding an extra step. Aging is a very different process from hopping with totally different chemical reactions occurring and way different end results.
__________________
In all the states no door stands wider,
To ask you in to drink hard cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
theciderkid
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Dry hopping a cider will not reduce the time it takes to make a batch, since you're adding an extra step. Aging is a very different process from hopping with totally different chemical reactions occurring and way different end results.
I agree, aging brings out..."dormant" flavors, mellow out that hot alcohol, and any bad flavors the yeast produced. Dry hopping will add a great aroma, that adds a little some extra to your cider.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 953
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Dry hopping a cider will not reduce the time it takes to make a batch, since you're adding an extra step. Aging is a very different process from hopping with totally different chemical reactions occurring and way different end results.
I see.... Any tricks or tips for a drinkable cider after maybe a few months?
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 953
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by theciderkid

I agree, aging brings out..."dormant" flavors, mellow out that hot alcohol, and any bad flavors the yeast produced. Dry hopping will add a great aroma, that adds a little some extra to your cider.
Is there any ingredients or type of additions to recipes that you would suggest on making something very drinkable soon? Brandon's Graff seems like it would be great however I'm looking for something that I don't need to cook...
Any ideas?
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
JtotheA
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Aurora, IL
Posts: 185
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
I see.... Any tricks or tips for a drinkable cider after maybe a few months?
I find that less is more. I mean by not adding sugar allows for a quick turnaround. I add juice concentrate to bump up the gravity though. To sum it up, it seems the lower the ABV, the sooner it's drinkable. On the contrary, if loads of sugar are used to increase ABV/sg, you can expect harsh tastes that need to mellow for months.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
LeBreton
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,129
Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheA View Post
I find that less is more. I mean by not adding sugar allows for a quick turnaround. I add juice concentrate to bump up the gravity though. To sum it up, it seems the lower the ABV, the sooner it's drinkable. On the contrary, if loads of sugar are used to increase ABV/sg, you can expect harsh tastes that need to mellow for months.
Well said!

I'll also add that quality juice and good balanced blend should create cider that is ready to drink pretty much as soon as you put it in the bottle. I only age dry ciders, and would argue that aging sweeter ciders is counter-productive as the fruity notes tend to break down over time.

I can make a commercial batch of cider in about 6 weeks from juice to bottle if we're really rushed.


Badger, if you're really interested in going pro, but have no experience in commercial production, I suggest you consider taking a class by Peter Mitchell - http://www.cider-academy.co.uk/cider...oduction.shtml
(That goes for everyone who really wants to get a solid background in cider & perry)
__________________
In all the states no door stands wider,
To ask you in to drink hard cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 953
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton

Well said!

I'll also add that quality juice and good balanced blend should create cider that is ready to drink pretty much as soon as you put it in the bottle. I only age dry ciders, and would argue that aging sweeter ciders is counter-productive as the fruity notes tend to break down over time.

I can make a commercial batch of cider in about 6 weeks from juice to bottle if we're really rushed.

Badger, if you're really interested in going pro, but have no experience in commercial production, I suggest you consider taking a class by Peter Mitchell - http://www.cider-academy.co.uk/cider...oduction.shtml
(That goes for everyone who really wants to get a solid background in cider & perry)
GREAT! Thank you much! I will look into this right away!


__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will this recipe have any drinkability? fezzman Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-26-2010 12:57 PM
Improved head and drinkability SoFlaBrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 08-24-2009 07:06 PM
Cider discussion. Hopping and other cider additions. Ciderguy Cider Forum 1 01-17-2009 05:03 AM
Drinkability!?!?!WTF? onejdn General Beer Discussion 37 12-23-2008 11:50 PM


Forum Jump