Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ale and lager yeast co exist?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Trizzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ale and lager yeast co exist?

As anyone tried using both an ale yeast and a lager yeast for the same batch to go for a unique flavor? Would it work?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are some recipies that use multiple strains of yeast. Lager and ale yeast ferment at different temps, so I suspect the ferm temp you select will select one strain or the other. If you want to produce a unique flavor profile from multiple strains, try selecting 2 yeasts that are active at approximately the same temp. And there are also commercially packaged strains that are a blend of 2 different strains.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 624 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
If you want to produce a unique flavor profile from multiple strains, try selecting 2 yeasts that are active at approximately the same temp.
This. Ale a lager yeasts have very different temp ranges, so it would not work. Or should I say not work very well. If you set it to the lager tempthe ale yeast would not really do anything. If you set it to ale temp then it would be too hot for the lager yeast and produce off flavors.

I did a Tripel that used 1214 and 3787 and it turned out great. So mixing yeasts can work.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Well, if you ferment it at ale temps, both strains would keep working. You'd get some fruity flavors and maybe some sulfur from the lager yeast.

If you ferment it at lager temps, the ale yeast will simply go dormant.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Trizzle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there a happy medium? Say temps to create both a slow fermentation from both?split the diff for fern temps for each strain? If its just cold enough for ales to ferment but slower and just warm enough for lager to still ferment but slower... Hmmm

Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I read in a brewing book once that "Steam beer", is made by using lager yeast at ale temps. Anchor brewing were the first ones to commercialize this, and now we have the ubiquitous Anchor Steam Beer.

Not that this has anything to do with blending yeasts per se, but I wanted to back Yooper up on the assertion that if you stick to ale temps, both yeasts should still be able to ferment.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
PatDunkel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You know, we did a Czech pils with 10 gallons and fermented a 1335 ale yeast with half of it at 54 degrees. Find an ale yeast that goes that low and it could work I'd think??

Pat