Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fermenting bucket?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
tims5377
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting bucket?

I have a regular plastic bottling bucket with a tap near the bottom and a snap on lid that has a built in rubber gasket. Im assuming this makes it air tight. For my primary I know i need to ferment in here, but im not sure how to allow the pressure to escape using this setup. I have seen lids with a spot to attach one of the bubble air locks in pics on here. Are these readily available or am i going to have to rig something up? Also, I assume i need an airlock to seal the [word i cannot remember, the mead equivalent of wort], is this correct?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yep. The airlocks and gaskets for lids should be readily available from your LHBS. I forget the diameter of the drill bit you'll need, but that's pretty easy to determine once you have the airlock in hand. Your LHBS will know.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Airlocks can easily be purchased from your LHBS, and even some liquor stores, if they sell home brewing stuff. You may just want to buy a fermenting bucket without a spigot at the bottom for primary fermentation, they usually run pretty cheap.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

if you can't afford getting a fermenting bucket you can often get just a lid with a predrilled hole and rubber grommet that accomidates an airlock that will probably fit your bottling bucket.