Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with a Paper Topic for School

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
brewjack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help with a Paper Topic for School

Hi all,
I'm just starting my first semester of college biology, and am planning on enrolling in the honors program. So basically this means I take the same course but am supposed research and write a lengthy report on a topic of my choosing.

It wasn't hard to decide that I wanted to write and research about beer.

But what exactly? One constraint of the paper is that it should require some significant research, not just paraphrasing a single source. I've been thinking I would do something on yeast, maybe comparing the different species of sacromyceses to one another and compare/contrasting them with brett? Maybe something on enzymes?

I'm hoping that whatever I research will help me in my brewing. Any suggestions? more specific ideas? more general ideas? other things of interest that you would want to dump a lot of time into if you were in my shoes?

Cheers,
Jack

Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

When you say that the project needs to include 'significant research' does that mean you need to be doing experiments/theoretical development/data analysis, or that you need to be writing more of a review article using multiple sources? If you're going to be doing experiments then the type of project will depend a lot on what resources you'll have available. If you're writing a review article, then you're going to be limited to what sort of literature is available.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
brewjack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good point.

I'm not doing any of my own experiments, it's more of a review article.

Your exactly right about what info is available, and that's where I'm having trouble; I'm not clear what I will/won't be able to do or what would be too easy.