Questions cops ask - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Questions cops ask

Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
The root cause of these types of situations are the collective bargained public unions. These unions have extracted more from their respective towns/cities/states than those municipalities cna ever hope to pay so they insist on extracting money from drivers who aren't completely careful like forgetting to use a signal when changing lanes or comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Just yesterday on my way home from work, I stopped in to a store in a shopping plaza around the corner fro mthe house only to see one of the local union revenue generators giving someone a ticket for not using a turn signal to turn into a parking space in the store parking lot. These towns are up against a wall because they know these collectively bargained benefits and bloated pensions can never be paid and they need your money. So don't be stupid, don't speed, always come to a full stop, use your turn signals, and by all means don't drink and drive, not even one beer with a large meal. Starve the beast! If you do get pulled over and get asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" Just answer "yup, your pension is waaaaaaaaaaaaay underfunded." They love that
Yeah...the cop being a dick is because he is union....wow..... Watch Fox news much?

Back to the OP. It's standard operating procedure. They pull you over for something stupid in hope to catch something big. Quite annoying when your doing nothing wrong. The cops call it Ticky Tack Chit around here. The other night, I recently had a cop follow me from an intersection and on to a interstate, then follow me for several miles before pulling me over. The whole time tailgating me. Pulled me over 100 yards shy of the state line (I live in MD and was leaving PA) and said I ran a stop sign. I didn't know it was a cop behind me the whole time. I asked where on the interstate did I go through a stop sign? Said it was several miles back at the intersection...I had rolled through it. Bullsh&*. 25 dollar fine I end up with....oh...and 87 dollars in 'administration' fees. WTF. Screw PA and their township cronies.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Big Rapids, Michigan
Liked 140 Times on 106 Posts

The Police Officer who stops you is is doing his job, what tax payers pay him to do enforce the law and serve and protect. When the police stops you (reason is not important) the officer does not know you or who you are or what you are capable of so his first responsibility is to safety his and yours. So they ask what seem to be odd questions, the answers themselves are telling but not as much as the tone and demeanor of the responder.

Remember that operating a vehicle on a public right of way is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT and there are vehicle safety requirements that police are mandated to enforce. So a stop for a vehicle safety check is a valid stop. If the officer uses that stop to develop further probable cause then the officer is in fact doing what they are paid to do.

The best things to do when stopped by an officer.
1. Be Honest
2. Cooperate
3. Treat the Officer with respect they deserve it!

Oh and for the record I am not a police officer.

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
rdann87
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Manchester, Connecticut
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The cops that I've dealt with always ask important stuff up front, then ask you completely unrelated questions... Then circle back around to what they really care about.

Always assumed they were just tryin to catch someone giving two different answers so they can probe further.

I've even had my car searched before, the cop made it clear that even if I did not consent.. They would find a way to search anyways.. So I figured get it over with

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Yes, serve and protect. The time I got pulled over, scared out of my wits, they just searched my vehicle and made sure I got home safe. Yes, I had been drinking but becoming the driver was not my decision, I was forced into it, they understood, let me pass go.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
Airplanedoc
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

A friend of mine ran for mayor of his small town on the platform of "improving the image of the town". He won the election and his first order of business was to fire the local cop. The townie cop was such a dick that people refused to stop in their town and was hurting local businesses. He turned the town over to the county sheriffs department for enforcement. He even went so far as to have a article placed in the local papers both up and down the highway to let people that the prick cop was gone. Business soon picked up at the quick mart, the gun club, bar, diner and even the local grain elevator.

So it can work both ways, Once the place gets a reputation, that you will get a ticket, it can eventually hurt the community.

In college I was pulled over for speeding in a small town, on my way home. The local cop gave me a $25 citation for violating the "city" speeding ordinance (a state speeding ticket at the time was $75). I could mail a check payable to the city and they would send me my license just like normal, but all the money went straight to their little town. I don't recall that I ever saw the cop again, but I did slow down when I went thru there in the future. It was also never reported on my driving record. So I thought it was a Win-Win

Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #26
Conan
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Cheektowaga, NY
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
The best was when I was 16 and crusing on Mill Avenue in Arizona (popular cruising spot). Got pulled over and the cop asked what I was doing and without hesistation I responded "just cruising." Ooops.

But, I did end up getting out of the ticket because the definition of cruising wasn't posted on the "no cruising" signs and Tempe's definition was different than the posted definitions in Phoenix where I lived.
What's the difference between 'cruising' and 'driving down a street, going from one place to another'? Legitimate question- I've never heard of cruising being defined as anything malicious. Kyle

Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
Just yesterday on my way home from work, I stopped in to a store in a shopping plaza around the corner fro mthe house only to see one of the local union revenue generators giving someone a ticket for not using a turn signal to turn into a parking space in the store parking lot.
BS. How can you possibly know what was going on? Did you walk over there and ask?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
moscoeb
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Richmond, KY
Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot
The root cause of these types of situations are the collective bargained public unions. These unions have extracted more from their respective towns/cities/states than those municipalities cna ever hope to pay so they insist on extracting money from drivers who aren't completely careful like forgetting to use a signal when changing lanes or comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Just yesterday on my way home from work, I stopped in to a store in a shopping plaza around the corner fro mthe house only to see one of the local union revenue generators giving someone a ticket for not using a turn signal to turn into a parking space in the store parking lot. These towns are up against a wall because they know these collectively bargained benefits and bloated pensions can never be paid and they need your money. So don't be stupid, don't speed, always come to a full stop, use your turn signals, and by all means don't drink and drive, not even one beer with a large meal. Starve the beast! If you do get pulled over and get asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" Just answer "yup, your pension is waaaaaaaaaaaaay underfunded." They love that
Wow are you biased and completely oblivious.
If it weren't for the unions, the city officials would be happy to pay public servants minimum wage and not fund their "bloated pensions" at all. Wait, they legally have to here, and yet they still don't pay in the required amount!!
How much do you put into your retirement fund? I'd be willing to bet not near as much as that servant does.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 163 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I was pulled over by a NH statie the other day driving back from a family weekend of x-country skiing...apparently, one of my license plate lights was out. Regardless of the reason, I was struck by some of the questions he asked - where was I coming from? And where was I going?

Why does this matter...especially for a busted license plate light? Is this standard operating procedure? Was he fishing for some sort of illicit activity? What could he possibly have hoped to gain from this? Was he just engaging in conversation to see if I was drunk? And, do I have any legal obligation to answer him? Is it any of his business where I was or where I'm going?

It didn't really bother me...I'm just curious. I wasn't speeding. I hadn't been drinking. My 11- and 8-year old kids and my wife were in the car with me. I drive a prius. I can't imagine my "profile" screamed anything out of the ordinary. The weird thing too was that he had passed me going the other direction, threw his lights on, and banged a u-turn to pull me over. For a frickin' busted light? Ok...maybe it bothers me a little bit.
Those NH staties are pretty hardcore. No joke.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #30
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
A friend of mine ran for mayor of his small town on the platform of "improving the image of the town". He won the election and his first order of business was to fire the local cop. The townie cop was such a dick that people refused to stop in their town and was hurting local businesses. He turned the town over to the county sheriffs department for enforcement. He even went so far as to have a article placed in the local papers both up and down the highway to let people that the prick cop was gone. Business soon picked up at the quick mart, the gun club, bar, diner and even the local grain elevator.

So it can work both ways, Once the place gets a reputation, that you will get a ticket, it can eventually hurt the community.

In college I was pulled over for speeding in a small town, on my way home. The local cop gave me a $25 citation for violating the "city" speeding ordinance (a state speeding ticket at the time was $75). I could mail a check payable to the city and they would send me my license just like normal, but all the money went straight to their little town. I don't recall that I ever saw the cop again, but I did slow down when I went thru there in the future. It was also never reported on my driving record. So I thought it was a Win-Win
Town just south of me was like that. I would drive 5 miles out of my way to avoid going through there and risking a ticket at worst and a delay at best because they would pull anyone over who was not from there