Questions cops ask - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Questions cops ask

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
VApatriot
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Canton, MI
Liked 98 Times on 64 Posts

The root cause of these types of situations are the collective bargained public unions. These unions have extracted more from their respective towns/cities/states than those municipalities cna ever hope to pay so they insist on extracting money from drivers who aren't completely careful like forgetting to use a signal when changing lanes or comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Just yesterday on my way home from work, I stopped in to a store in a shopping plaza around the corner fro mthe house only to see one of the local union revenue generators giving someone a ticket for not using a turn signal to turn into a parking space in the store parking lot. These towns are up against a wall because they know these collectively bargained benefits and bloated pensions can never be paid and they need your money. So don't be stupid, don't speed, always come to a full stop, use your turn signals, and by all means don't drink and drive, not even one beer with a large meal. Starve the beast! If you do get pulled over and get asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" Just answer "yup, your pension is waaaaaaaaaaaaay underfunded." They love that

Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5011 Times on 3382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
The root cause of these types of situations are the collective bargained public unions. These unions have extracted more from their respective towns/cities/states than those municipalities cna ever hope to pay so they insist on extracting money from drivers who aren't completely careful like forgetting to use a signal when changing lanes or comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Just yesterday on my way home from work, I stopped in to a store in a shopping plaza around the corner fro mthe house only to see one of the local union revenue generators giving someone a ticket for not using a turn signal to turn into a parking space in the store parking lot. These towns are up against a wall because they know these collectively bargained benefits and bloated pensions can never be paid and they need your money. So don't be stupid, don't speed, always come to a full stop, use your turn signals, and by all means don't drink and drive, not even one beer with a large meal. Starve the beast! If you do get pulled over and get asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" Just answer "yup, your pension is waaaaaaaaaaaaay underfunded." They love that
Is it even illegal to not use a turn signal in a private parking area? That's not even a public road!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
zeg
Recipes 

Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Is it even illegal to not use a turn signal in a private parking area? That's not even a public road!
I think it depends on the state. I believe in California, there's no obligation to obey such signs, but you'll assume more responsibility for an accident if you don't do so. Googling around, it seems that in other states (maybe Florida), the traffic laws apply anywhere accessible to the public.

Edit: here's a good article: http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...ce_enforc.html

Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 415 Times on 339 Posts

Quote:
Isn't it safe to tell them you have personal business? As far as I know they are not allowed to just pull you over and start interrogating you. They could be brought up on harassment charges if they take it too far.

Just stay civil about it.
I mean to be honest 2 of the 4 times I was pulled over I was going home from work. One time I was going home from shopping, the other was more complicated I was going from one brothers house to the other I just told him I was on my way home from my brothers house.

All in all if you're honest they can't do anything, the cop who got me for expired registration was certainly fishing for me being drunk cause it was at like 2 in the morning and I had a car full of people, but what he didn't realize was that I stopped drinking about 6 hours before that and wasn't drunk in the first place. If I blew a .01 I would have been shocked. Not even my girlfriend who drank a ton was that drunk at that point. Only thing I refuse to ever do is let a cop search my car. I always when I buy beer or liquor cover it entirely or store it in my trunk so they have no probable cause cause it's a given that there is likely between cleanings an empty beer can or bottle from a tailgate cause my friends and family can be inconsiderate dicks sometimes and last thing I need is a stupid open container bust where I know I'd get off because it would be in my trunk and molding at that point, but who wants to pay a lawyer to handle that.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
naiek

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Grass Valley, CA
Liked 709 Times on 691 Posts

Quote:
I read that as he was turning into the parking lot, from the public street

edit, re-read maybe I was mistaken...

Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Time for a nice cop story, 100% true... I was about 22ish, went from Dayton Beach Florida to a concert in Orlando. I didn't start out as the driver nor did I ever intend to become the driver. In my old burgundy Dodge Caravan.

Cop: "Have you been drinking?"

Me: "Yes, lots and now I am drunk and lost and I can't find my friend. He's the one who's supposed to be driving!"

Cop: "How much have you had to drink?"

Me: "Well, let's see, before we left Daytona we stopped at the bar, I had 2 or 3 vodka/cranberries. Then we grabbed a 12 pack of beer for the trip. My friend, the one who used to be driving had maybe 3 or 4 of them and I drank the rest. Then we got to the concert, I had just 2 more weak drinks there because it was hard to get to the bar, way overcrowded. Then we went to eat and split a bottle of wine. Now I can't find my friend and can you please help me???"

Cop: "Do you mind if we search your vehicle?"

Me: "I don't care, but can you help me get home? I need a phone, someone has to come get me. I'm scared."

Forget to say... I was lost in the worst possible ever neighborhood in Orlando and no idea how I got there.

They give me a phone to use, search my vehicle for nearly 3 hours, had the steering wheel and inner console completely taken apart, never did get it back together just right.

Cop: "Okay ma'am, we're going to let you go. I think you've sobered up enough to drive by now."

Did they give me a breathalyzer? No!! Do I think I am sober enough to drive? No!!! He wrote down directions for me and I made it back, the 2 hour drive back to Daytona... without my friend!!!

Woke up the next day, steering column in the van all screwed up where they had taken it apart. Asking myself, WTH?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3704 Times on 3178 Posts

Here's one from when I was in my late 40's. I was going to work early one morning & get pulled over at 4:3XAM. Across the intersection from my church to boot. turns out to be the brother of a portorican guy I'ver been buds with at Ford for years. He says they got a call from "my girlfriend" that I'd had a fight/gooten das boot from her & I stold her license plates. They were supposedly expired as well.
So I give him the 20 questions about whodawhattf,& he then asks if I've been drinking. I show him my lunch on the passenger seat & tell him again I'm on my way to work & will be late if we go through this much longer.
I finally get what the story is supposed to be after a few rounds. I tell him I'm married,pull out my cell phone,& offer to let him talk to her. It was at that point that he started to back peddle. He just wanted to get nosey as to why I was drivin around there so early in the morning. I just decided that morning to try a different way to work to see how long it took/how far it was. Sheez.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
VApatriot
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Canton, MI
Liked 98 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
I think that they have to ask permission from the owner of the shopping plaza, either way, I see it happen all the time here. I've also known people who got pulled over for 3, count 'em 3 whole miles over the speed limit. That's why I drive like a saint. It's kind of like you and another guy getting chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear, just the other guy. Well when you're driving, it's just the opposite, you want to be just a little slower than the other guy. I'see that happen almost 2-3 times a month every day on the way to work, you'd think these people would learn and just go the speed limit.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Carlsbad, NM
Liked 227 Times on 159 Posts

To go from El Paso Texas to Carlsbad New Mexico we have to go through an Immigration checkpoint, complete with armed agents and drug sniffing dogs. Sometimes they get really chatty about where I'm from, where I'm going, etc and I keep it brief but honest.
One time my wife and I pulled into the checkpoint in her Miata with the top down. The guy asked if it was just the 2 of us. When he realized just how stupid that was he turned red and told us to "get the hell out", we laughed so hard we almost pissed our pants.
It really does make me mad that I'm subject to a border inspection without ever leaving the US. If I come from Las Cruces back to Carlsbad I have to go through the same crap and I haven't even left New Mexico.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 9065 Times on 7218 Posts

The best was when I was 16 and crusing on Mill Avenue in Arizona (popular cruising spot). Got pulled over and the cop asked what I was doing and without hesistation I responded "just cruising." Ooops.

But, I did end up getting out of the ticket because the definition of cruising wasn't posted on the "no cruising" signs and Tempe's definition was different than the posted definitions in Phoenix where I lived.