Questions cops ask - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Questions cops ask

Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

I was pulled over by a NH statie the other day driving back from a family weekend of x-country skiing...apparently, one of my license plate lights was out. Regardless of the reason, I was struck by some of the questions he asked - where was I coming from? And where was I going?

Why does this matter...especially for a busted license plate light? Is this standard operating procedure? Was he fishing for some sort of illicit activity? What could he possibly have hoped to gain from this? Was he just engaging in conversation to see if I was drunk? And, do I have any legal obligation to answer him? Is it any of his business where I was or where I'm going?

It didn't really bother me...I'm just curious. I wasn't speeding. I hadn't been drinking. My 11- and 8-year old kids and my wife were in the car with me. I drive a prius. I can't imagine my "profile" screamed anything out of the ordinary. The weird thing too was that he had passed me going the other direction, threw his lights on, and banged a u-turn to pull me over. For a frickin' busted light? Ok...maybe it bothers me a little bit.

My Beer Cellar

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
rs4life
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

If youre from MA its probably because of suspicion of buying fireworks.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 3020 Times on 2258 Posts

Might depend on how far north you were. I have a house in Franconia and have had to pass through checkpoints the Staties and Feds occasionally set up on I93, presumably looking for drug runners and illegals...

Cheers!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5366 Times on 4560 Posts

I've gotten the burnt out license plate light too. And my wife and I have each gotten, "didn't see your seat belt", when they were on. Pulled over for driving at night through the middle of town and asked why I didn't stop for a stop sign when there were no stop signs on that boulevard. And once for "not being from around here". Oh, and driving with no lights or wipers on in inclement weather. That one was fun. "It's raining, you say? Really? You're not getting wet." And then there was one for driving a work truck. I have no idea what he was really after, but after all sorts of weird questions, he said something about knowing this was a work truck but I should still get a new license plate. The one I had was too old. Not expired, mind you. It was just the old style and the new style was not required. The state issued stickers on it were current.

A lot of seemingly nonsense traffic stops are fishing expeditions. Sometimes they catch one. Sometimes they catch me and we both have fun.

Got anything in the vehicle I should know about?
If I did, I wouldn't want you to know.

Got any guns, knives, bombs or other weapons?
What was that third one again?

How much have you had to drink today?
Lots.
Lots of what?
Water. It's hot out.

License, insurance and registration.
I handed him a fishing license.

All true stories. It's not that I dislike cops, but when I know they're fishing, it's full to steal their bait.

PS
Don't pull this stuff if you're riding dirty.

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
annasdadhockey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Got any guns, knives, bombs or other weapons?
What was that third one again?
HA!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until I get pulled over. I'm using that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Might depend on how far north you were. I have a house in Franconia and have had to pass through checkpoints the Staties and Feds occasionally set up on I93, presumably looking for drug runners and illegals...

Cheers!
Who smuggles drugs in a prius????

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5366 Times on 4560 Posts

Everything they ask is for a reason. It may be genuine questions directly related to what they are after. It may be catch you out in something. The accusatory questions are like that. Not, 'have you been drinking/using drugs', but 'when was the last time or how much'. And sometimes they're testing your overall state of mind. Can they make you nervous or angry? Why are you nervous or angry? The weird questions are for that. Your reaction tells a lot about what might be going on.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 414 Times on 338 Posts

I've always been asked where I'm going. I've only ever been pulled over in my home state. I assume they do this to see if you are drunk or something like that. I assume it's to look for suspicious behavior.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4852 Times on 3270 Posts

Isn't it safe to tell them you have personal business? As far as I know they are not allowed to just pull you over and start interrogating you. They could be brought up on harassment charges if they take it too far.

Just stay civil about it.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
pernox
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Western MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

The police can ask you anything they want.

It's on you to exercise your rights and not answer.

There are many good cops, but there are also many who aren't so good. Unless you're a way better man than I, you probably can't know either way upon your initial contact with the officer. Remove the risk of a potentially encumbering investigation (remember, if you incriminate yourself on something - even completely by accident - they're obligated to dig to the bottom of it) and just keep your mouth shut.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Polboy Likes This