Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not sure what i did wrong

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
subzero829
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Not sure what i did wrong

Made my second batch of beer Sunday and my roommate just got home from work and sent me this picture. We did have a mistake and watered our beer down too much and had a lower OG than anticipated but I'm sure that's not it.

What did I do wrong and is there any hope of savior?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2576669943.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	96251

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
remandsager
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like happy beer in desperate need of a blow off tube!

Nothing 'wrong' but your airlock can't handle the large amount of kruesen.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
subzero829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So what do I do? I work from 7 to 7 so I can't make it to my local homebrew store to get a blow off tube and I don't want it to keep spilling...... How do I get the Kruessen out without risking infection.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by remandsager View Post
Looks like happy beer in desperate need of a blow off tube!

Nothing 'wrong' but your airlock can't handle the large amount of kruesen.
+1

At what temp are you fermenting this?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
WildGingerBrewing
I wish I was Randar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2061 Times on 2016 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You dont get the krausen out. Its good stuff. I assume you have some sort of tube (auto siphon maybe?). Attach it to your bung or airlock and run it into a bucket of water. Let the beer do its thing. This looks like an awesome fermentation. Nothing wrong that i can see!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero829 View Post
So what do I do? I work from 7 to 7 so I can't make it to my local homebrew store to get a blow off tube and I don't want it to keep spilling...... How do I get the Kruessen out without risking infection.
If you can snag a 4 ft piece of 1/2" clear vinyl tubing somewhere (like Lowe's) this late in the evening (even if it's not food grade), get it, sanitize it, remove/clean/sanitize that airlock and then rig it up with the other end in a bucket of Star-San.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
subzero829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BigFloyd its an American Pale Ale and I am fermenting it at 66 degrees

WildGinger
Yes I have an autosyphon, but my airlock is a one piece airlock that has a lid on top wont opening that run the risk of infection in the beer?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Roadliner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 132

not to steal the thread on purpose... But is there a way to control Krausen? I just put a beer in the fermentor last night and it is blowing off like nothing I have ever seen.. I used a blowoff tube to start cause I always do, but I've already lost 3/4 gallons! and it hasn't even been 24 hrs. Doesn't look like it's slowing down either.. there is a steady flow of foam going through the tube.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1182 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 138

our job as brewers is to make yeast happy and krausen is the magical little critters' way of letting you know that you're doing your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
not to steal the thread on purpose... But is there a way to control Krausen? I just put a beer in the fermentor last night and it is blowing off like nothing I have ever seen.. I used a blowoff tube to start cause I always do, but I've already lost 3/4 gallons! and it hasn't even been 24 hrs. Doesn't look like it's slowing down either.. there is a steady flow of foam going through the tube.
would suggest not doing anything, at least for this batch. let it run its course.

then, for next time, you'll probably need a bigger fermenter. or a smaller amount going into your current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero829 View Post
BigFloyd its an American Pale Ale and I am fermenting it at 66 degrees

WildGinger
Yes I have an autosyphon, but my airlock is a one piece airlock that has a lid on top wont opening that run the risk of infection in the beer?
a three-piece airlock works good for blow off. just use the bigger piece and, like Big Floyd says, stick that 1/2" tube inside on the part sticking up and krausen can escape that way.

only ways to avoid having to use a blow off tube is a bigger fermenter or smaller volumes.

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
Roadliner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
a three-piece airlock works good for blow off. just use the bigger piece and, like Big Floyd says, stick that 1/2" tube inside on the part sticking up and krausen can escape that way.
This works great for a blow off, but I do put some iodophor in my water to sanitize it.. just a precaution I guess.