Fixed my digital temp/timer probe!
Second time this has happened to me. Both times were when I made a starter and I had to stick the thermometer down the neck of the flask to get a temp and it went down too far. This time was terrible because I never noticed it until brew day and I mashed about 15° below where I thought I was
I read about using the oven to try and get the crud out but it never worked for me.
So I just came across an article that said to boil the probe in oil for 10 minutes. I tried it - just up to the curve with oil and when it started to smoke real bad I took it out. There was a decent amount of black junk that came out of it. And it worked!!! Within a degree of the calibrated thermo. Tried the ice bath and same result.
Saved me $20 so I thought maybe it could do the same for others.
Being Dealt (kegged): Carbed Crystal light lemonade for the boys, Delta Bravo IPA, Applewinder
Primary: Climbing stout
Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,
from my big ass computer sitting on my floor