Originally Posted by DeustchLehrer
In the batch I did today I used 230 grams of corn sugar. (left)
In the batch last week I used 175 grams of table sugar. (right)
Yesterday I noticed a decrease in airlock activity, and the growler was very cold to the touch. I placed a space heater in front of it and the airlock activity increased. I also noticed a sulfur-like smell coming from the airlock, and I am not sure if it's normal, or if it's due to me overheating my cider.... First batch ever.
Comments/Advice? Other than buy a hydrometer?
Ok, lol, yes the hydrometer. It sounds like the heat woke up the yeast, and they started gassing off some of the SO2 they created during fermentation. That's natural, but don't heat your cider TOO much or the yeast may start producing off flavors.
As to the other observation, remember that cane sugar is mainly sucrose, and corn sugar is mainly maltose. Not sure which yeast you used, or if one batch has more pectin than the other?