Anyone have an ActiveAir Speed Controller with an ActiveAir fan? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Anyone have an ActiveAir Speed Controller with an ActiveAir fan?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts



I have an ActiveAir 6-inch inline duct fan that works great. Since Amazon suggested it, and since Hydrofarm suggests it, I bought the ACSC speed controller. But upon plugging the fan into the controller, it causes the fan to hum loudly and spin very slowly on any setting of the dial. ActiveAir says they think I got a bad controller. But given all the confusion around brushless-works-with-this-not-with-that, does anyone know for sure that the ActiveAir speed controller linked above actually works with the ACDF6?

From what I read, the controllers that *don't* work with these brushless fans (like this one) all cause the hum and don't work well, just like the ActiveAir one.

Just looking for some confirmation before I pull the trigger on a new ActiveAir speed controller since my current non-working one is past the return window.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
DakotaPrerunner
 
DakotaPrerunner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Edmonds, Wa
Posts: 170
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


If it is a brushless motor controller there will be 3 wires going to the motor, if its a brushed motor there will only be two wires. Thats the easy way to tell if its the right controller. Now weather or not its working properly is a different story...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaPrerunner View Post
If it is a brushless motor controller there will be 3 wires going to the motor, if its a brushed motor there will only be two wires. Thats the easy way to tell if its the right controller. Now weather or not its working properly is a different story...
The controller has a 3-prong grounded plug (it's a wall-wart type thing) and a 3-prong socket into which the motor plugs in. I tested the controller with a random drill I had lying around, and it works great on the drill.

From the power-in plug, black wire is connected directly to motor-out socket. As is ground. The red wire goes to a control board, and from the control board another wire goes to the 3rd lead of the motor-out socket. The control board has a potentiometer (B250K), a high-current triac (STMicro BTA24) with a heatsink, a black rectangular overcurrent protector (10A @ 125/250V AC, 10A @ 24V DC), another small potentiometer marked "1M", three largish 400V capacitors (not electrolytic), a small diode and some random resistors.

By "3 wires going to the motor" do you mean grounded? Or is that "3 wires going to the motor" if I look in the fan itself?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
DakotaPrerunner
 
DakotaPrerunner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Edmonds, Wa
Posts: 170
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


Common household drill motors are brushed. If the speed controller worked with your drill motor but not the fan it seems to me that either they are two different types of motors or the fan motor is not working. I am going to guess that the motor in the fan is a common brushed motor based on your statement that the ground and hot go straight to the motor socket. Because the controller works with the drill but the fan does not run I would check the fan motor before I ordered a new controller. Best of luck.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaPrerunner View Post
Common household drill motors are brushed. If the speed controller worked with your drill motor but not the fan it seems to me that either they are two different types of motors or the fan motor is not working. I am going to guess that the motor in the fan is a common brushed motor based on your statement that the ground and hot go straight to the motor socket. Because the controller works with the drill but the fan does not run I would check the fan motor before I ordered a new controller. Best of luck.
When I plug the fan directly into the outlet (without the speed controller) then it works great. So I was assuming the fan was not the problem, since the hum/slowness only appears when the speed controller is used with the fan.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts


Oh, found this on the ActiveAir site:

Q: What fans can I use a fan speed controller with?
A: Our fan speed controller (ACSC) will work with brushless motors, such as the ones commonly used with inline centrifugal fans. Do not use with blowers, booster fans, etc.

Of course, this was one of the FAQ on their site for the fan I purchased. But the specifications don't say whether the fan I bought is a brushless one, or whether it's considered a "blower" or an "inline centrifugal fan".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
psbuckland
 
psbuckland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Frederick, MD
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I have the 8" active air fan and the SE controller you showed that doesn't work. It works fine...I haven't had any problems with humming or noise.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1668592081.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	96216  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
dcbw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by psbuckland View Post
I have the 8" active air fan and the SE controller you showed that doesn't work. It works fine...I haven't had any problems with humming or noise.
You mean you have the SE Electronic Stepless Speed Controller and that does work correctly with your ACDF8?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
forcabrew
 
forcabrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
somewhere, Ct
Posts: 592
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbw
I have an ActiveAir 6-inch inline duct fan that works great. Since Amazon suggested it, and since Hydrofarm suggests it, I bought the ACSC speed controller. But upon plugging the fan into the controller, it causes the fan to hum loudly and spin very slowly on any setting of the dial. ActiveAir says they think I got a bad controller. But given all the confusion around brushless-works-with-this-not-with-that, does anyone know for sure that the ActiveAir speed controller linked above actually works with the ACDF6?

From what I read, the controllers that *don't* work with these brushless fans (like this one) all cause the hum and don't work well, just like the ActiveAir one.

Just looking for some confirmation before I pull the trigger on a new ActiveAir speed controller since my current non-working one is past the return window.
I have that exact setup and it works perfectly fine for me I haven't noticed the humming your explaining

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
psbuckland
 
psbuckland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Frederick, MD
Posts: 198
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Exactly. Se strapless and active air 8". No probs. I can send video if you pm me ur email...


S-

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finer crush vs. coarser crush/ higher speed vs. lower speed Q2XL All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 10-04-2012 02:15 PM
tss2 love controller wiring a freezer with a computer controller simie Electric Brewing 0 06-10-2012 11:53 PM
Fermentation speed after bottling, same speed as primary? LeBreton Cider Forum 0 11-11-2011 03:49 AM
$18 Dual PWM Dimmer / Speed Controller CrazyP Chillers & Stir Plates 1 05-14-2011 07:32 PM


Forum Jump