Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Follow up question for people who have transferred from sanke to corny

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
kenyabob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Follow up question for people who have transferred from sanke to corny

I am going to try and transfer some beer from a sanke to corny. Reading a lot of the other threads, I have a pretty good idea what I am going to do. My questions are just these:

1) Can I get a cheaper sanke tap, say something not stainless steel, maybe nickel plated if I am only going to transfer maybe 5 or 6 times a year?

2) How would I clean or rinse the tap after I transferred the beer if I didnt have another sanke keg filled with sanitizer/water?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 157

1) You can use the cheaper sanke tap either way! Just like faucets/shanks, the chrome plating is usually fine under regular use, the all stainless is bombproof though.

2) I find that putting my couplers in the "open" position (lever down), removing the beer nuts/washers/check valve, and soaking them in oxi clean then hot water is plenty to clean even a gunked up one that's been hooked up to a keg for months. I'd guess a good rinse in hot water (you should be able to see the water come out the top port) followed by a spritz of star san would be fine for your light use. If you can still smell beer when you stick your nose in there, give it a soak.

Remember to hit the rubber parts with keg lube!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you're only going to use the coupler for transfers, and might possibly want to transfer the other way someday (corny/fermenter to sankey), you can remove the check valves inside. That makes it super easy to clean by simply running some hot water through it in the sink.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash