Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using and sanitizing peaches
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Using and sanitizing peaches

I brewed a wheat beer last Friday with a grain bill of 50% two row, 50% wheat, and added 1 lb of honey when I was cooling the wort. OG of 1.052 (82% efficiency).

This coming weekend I plan to rack the beer and add 7lbs of diced/frozen peaches. This beer is for my girlfriend. I chose 7 lbs after reading quite a few previous threads etc.

People keep bringing up the question of how to sanitize the peaches, and the most common answer seems to be steeping the for 15-20 min at 160 degrees or so.

Here is my plan and I am wondering if there is a reason this would not work. Dice and freeze the peaches. Before I use them, take them out to thaw, and then soak them for 10-15 minutes in a mixture of One-Step and water. Then just dump the One-Step and toss the peaches in the fermenter. Seeing that One-Step is a no-rinse, non-toxic sanitizer and I have a little bit laying around, this should work perfectly.

However, is it better to steep the peaches? Will breaking them down a little by steeping increase their effect in the beer?

Thanks Folks!

Primary: Belgian Strong, Mr Beer experiment
Secondary: Dragon's Milk Clone
Bottled: Tittabawassee Brown Ale, Spiced X Mas Ale, Chinook IPA, Belgian Tripel, Oatmeal Stout, Cream Ale, Vienna Lager, Peach Wheat
Next:American Amber, Russian Imperial Stout, Abbey Dubbel, Saison
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 154 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I don't usually worry about sanitizing fruit other than making sure it's as clean as possible. That said, some brewers do go with pasteurizing fruit. I've also heard of some using a neutral spirit like vodka to sanitize.

One recommendation I'd have is make sure you peel the peaches. I did something similar a while back and had an odd bitterness I attributed to leaving the skins on the fruit (peaches and apricots).