How do you take samples from a plastic bucket? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do you take samples from a plastic bucket?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
tackett
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

So, I want to know how to get a sample from a tap less plastic bucket.

I would think removing the lid would be a bad idea? But I don't see any other way.

How do you bucket people do it? I can see how a carboy wouldn't be a problem since the neck area is so small.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Old_E
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Tampa, FL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done it plenty of times. Just sanitize everything and do it as quickly as possible. I wouldn't do it too often, either, just once to make sure fermentation is complete.

FWIW - I never do it anymore, just out of laziness. 3-3 weeks in, I just assume it is done, and it always is.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts

Rip the lid off and check away... no probs. Like mentioned... don't do it over and over and over.

I like using buckets, so I can just drop a sanitized hydrometer right in the bucket to take gravity readings.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
gcdowd

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts

No worries on removing the lid, I do it all the time. I use a wine thief (I would suggest getting one) or you could use a turkey baster. I just gently dip in the thief and extract the wort. I try to disturb the CO2 layer as little as possible. I have yet to have an infection. Knock on wood!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
jonboygentry
Recipes 

Dec 2012

I just crack mine just enough to get the wine thief in. But I don't do that many gravity readings. 3 weeks and its ready to bottle. If you plan on doing a lot of samples, get yourself a wine thief. Sanitization is key!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
SledgeH
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Allentown, PA
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

I've used a sanitized wine thief or a sanitized measuring cup in the past. But Old E is right on target. Leave it be for a few weeks and you won't have to worry about constantly dipping into it.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
JimRausch
JimRMaine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackett View Post
So, I want to know how to get a sample from a tap less plastic bucket.

I would think removing the lid would be a bad idea? But I don't see any other way.

How do you bucket people do it? I can see how a carboy wouldn't be a problem since the neck area is so small.
No port for an airlock? I draw out of that using a 35cc syringe with tubing attached.
If you sanitize well, you should be able to crack the lid and draw a sample without much worry. Starsan in a spray bottle comes in handy for these between-batches sanitation.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

Dude, relax and take the lid off. The beer will be fine.

Yes, oxidation. Worth being conscious of. There's only so much we can do to prevent it. Taking the lid off a few times isn't any worse than the process of going to a bottling bucket.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
tackett
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks guys.

I have a theif coming.

It would be nice to have a lid like one of those paint buckets where you can just unscrew a small cap.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Balue

Recipes 

Jan 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackett View Post

It would be nice to have a lid like one of those paint buckets where you can just unscrew a small cap.
I drilled a one inch hole in my bucket lids and use a stopper and airlock just like on a carboy, when I need a sample pull it out and use thief. Much easier to remove a stopper then pry those tight ass lids off plus I think it disturbs it less over all.
: Black Tip Stout, Hopperhead IPA Up next The Blonde that went to India.