Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Don't make yeast starters from dry yeast? WTF?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sorry for the stupid newb question, but can someone explain the difference between "starter" and "rehydrate" as it pertains to dry yeast (or point me to a thread)?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Re-hydrating is just that. You are re-introducing water to the yeast and bringing them out of a sort-of hibernation. This is a 15-30 minute process vs. 24+ hours from a starter. Also, re-hydrating doesn't increase cell count from what is already there.

With a starter, you're basically prepping/brewing a mini-beer to increase cell count and viability.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
You gave away beer you thought was terrible?????
I let my brother-in-law try some...while he agreed it was "strange" he said he would drink it and use it for cooking so I gave it to him. Better than dumping it.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale