First wine - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > First wine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
MA-Honey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 14


I started making my first wine on January 12. It is a kit wine. My numbers for sg have been significantly different than what the kit says so I want to make sure I didn't mess it up. According to the kit, the initial sg should be 1.048-1.052, 1.010 after primary fermentation and .996 at stabilizing. My numbers were 1.042, .994 and I haven't stabilized. I have used hydrometers before and I know I am reading it right but is there something that I should do or should have done?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7702 Times on 5413 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MA-Honey View Post
I started making my first wine on January 12. It is a kit wine. My numbers for sg have been significantly different than what the kit says so I want to make sure I didn't mess it up. According to the kit, the initial sg should be 1.048-1.052, 1.010 after primary fermentation and .996 at stabilizing. My numbers were 1.042, .994 and I haven't stabilized. I have used hydrometers before and I know I am reading it right but is there something that I should do or should have done?
There isn't much difference between .994 and .996, so it sounds exactly right. It might go down a tiny bit more, but it sounds like it's just about done.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
MA-Honey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 14

I read somewhere that if this happens that you should stir it every couple days. Also I have another 5 days till I should be stabilizing it. Do I stir it or just let it be?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7702 Times on 5413 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MA-Honey View Post
I read somewhere that if this happens that you should stir it every couple days. Also I have another 5 days till I should be stabilizing it. Do I stir it or just let it be?
Do NOT stir! Whatever you do, don't agitate, stir, mix, or otherwise oxygenate the wine.

It's done. It might drop a couple more points, but it's pretty much done. All stirring will do is ruin a perfectly good wine.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Ridenour64
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Do NOT stir! Whatever you do, don't agitate, stir, mix, or otherwise oxygenate the wine.

It's done. It might drop a couple more points, but it's pretty much done. All stirring will do is ruin a perfectly good wine.
What about degassing yooper. You have to agitate it to degass the wine. I am also new and on my first wine kit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
saramc
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 167 Times on 151 Posts


Ridenour...do you plan to age this in carboy for a bit? If so, say 90 days or more, 6 months even better, 9 months great and you will find that time is a natural degasser. I age everything now for at least nine months and rarely have an issue with degassing.
But a kit will benefit from some extended kit in carboy. What kind of kit are you making?

Sara
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7702 Times on 5413 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64 View Post
What about degassing yooper. You have to agitate it to degass the wine. I am also new and on my first wine kit.
Degassing is done in a carboy, and you add campden to it to keep oxygen from binding with it.

I've only degassed wine kits, for the most part, and that's because they are rushed to the bottle.

For "real" wine, I've actually only had ONE that needed degassing in all the years I've been doing this. I have no idea why that one batch held on to the gas for so long, but that's the only one in over 200+ batches of wine.

I'm not a degassing fan, but when done as part of the kit in the directions when k-meta is added, no harm will come to it.

Otherwise mucking about in the wine, stirring or shaking, or not topping up appropriately is a bad idea and in almost all cases a "fix" like that for a wine that is perfectly fine will compromise the wine.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
jflongo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 1,229
Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts


According to my wine kit, degassing is part of the 3rd stage.

1st stage, make it, let it ferment for necessary time, let mine go 8 days
2nd stage, rack it to a new carboy, let it sit for 10 days
3rd stage, add packets 3 and 4, and then it says "Winexpert kits require that you stir the sediment back into suspension. etc"

this is the stage where mine says to de-gas it and mix the sediment back in, so you have to stir it vigorously

Not sure about your kit, but that is how mine works.

After it is fully degassed is when you add the last packet

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
MA-Honey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 14

Ok. Thanks for the help yooper and everyone else.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Ridenour64
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I am making an island mist peach Chardonnay. But thanks Sara and yooper that helps a lot. I also have a 1 gallon batch of edworts apfelwein I just started 2 days ago. I'm so excited to try them both. Waiting sucks but it will be worth it.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone made wine from Midwest's frozen wine grape musts? gingerdawg Winemaking Forum 4 08-29-2011 01:03 AM
Aging my Barley wine with red wine soaked oak chips clept General Techniques 24 01-02-2011 09:56 PM
Portland Oregon brewing and wine making group Annual Wine purchase wacko North West Homebrew Forum 1 10-09-2010 12:39 AM
Plum Wine: Ring of white growth in carboy above wine etisdale Winemaking Forum 6 10-03-2009 06:20 PM
Wine Maker Online - Manage Your Batches Of Wine! richardn Winemaking Forum 0 08-28-2005 01:16 AM


Forum Jump