Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Honey Malt Questions

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Default Honey Malt Questions

Since I buy bulk, most of my beers are made with the same 12-15 grains, and that works pretty great. For the first time in 10 years of brewing, I purchased a couple pounds of Honey Malt to use in my Blonde Ale. I've got a couple questions for those who have used this malt before:

1. How much should I use to get a noticeable, though not overpowering flavor from that particular malt? I was thinking between 5-8% (about 8 oz per 5.5 gallons).

2. Would it be prudent to simply replace the C15 with the Honey malt? According to BeerSmith, Honey malt has no diastatic power and thus shouldn't contribute to fermentability; however, I read somewhere else that it has a diastatic power of 50%. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just replace the C15 and up my mash temp 2-3F.

Also, I'll be using WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast in place of the WLP029, just because I want to see the differences. I've heard 810 tends more toward the malt, so I plan to increase my bitterness addition just slightly to account for that.

Cheers!

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I can't speak of how Honey Malt effects body or head retention but I use 8oz of it in 11 gallons of American Wheat beer and it makes a noticeable difference in perceived "sweetness" to the final beer at that low rate.

Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6009 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
I can't speak of how Honey Malt effects body or head retention but I use 8oz of it in 11 gallons of American Wheat beer and it makes a noticeable difference in perceived "sweetness" to the final beer at that low rate.
I agree. I rarely use it, but when I do I can notice it in very small amounts- like .25 pound in a 5 gallon batch.

A "honey beer" could probably use .5 pound up to 1 pound depending on how dominant you want the honey flavor. Since I don't have a sweet tooth at all, and actually dislike sweet tasting things, I would find .5 pound overpowering.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you both. So perhaps it'd be best to go with 4 oz Honey malt and reduce the C10 to 4 oz from 8 oz?

Latest Article from Brulosophy: Sloppy Old Slurry Starter vs. Fresh Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

List of exBEERiments

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Thank you both. So perhaps it'd be best to go with 4 oz Honey malt and reduce the C10 to 4 oz from 8 oz?
Would the honey malt and C10 be your only specialty malts in this recipe? I would definitely think you want to keep some Crystal in a blonde ale which is supposed to have some body to it.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
PupThePup
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Gambrinus makes honey malt. Use up to 10% in your grain bill. 5-8% should be fine. Replacing the Crystal with the honey would be a wise choice.

Diastatic Power is not measured in percentages. It is measured in Degrees Lintner. 50DP = 50 Degrees Lintner. To give you an idea of what that means 6-Row Brewers Malt has a DP of around 180. 2-Row Brewers Malt and Pilsner or Lager Malt has a DP of around 140. At what Degree a malt is self converting depends on various factors. The number given around the Internet and in some prominent books seem to disagree with each other - 37, 40, 50. It may contribute ever so slightly to fermentability. Probably on a level that you don't have to worry about it.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem

Would the honey malt and C10 be your only specialty malts in this recipe? I would definitely think you want to keep some Crystal in a blonde ale which is supposed to have some body to it.
With the proposed changes, it'd be 4 oz (3%) of CaraPils, C10, and Honey malt.

List of exBEERiments

Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

With the proposed changes, it'd be 4 oz (3%) of CaraPils, C10, and Honey malt.
4 oz EACH, accounting for 9% of the grist.

List of exBEERiments

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupThePup
Gambrinus makes honey malt. Use up to 10% in your grain bill. 5-8% should be fine. Replacing the Crystal with the honey would be a wise choice.

Diastatic Power is not measured in percentages. It is measured in Degrees Lintner. 50DP = 50 Degrees Lintner. To give you an idea of what that means 6-Row Brewers Malt has a DP of around 180. 2-Row Brewers Malt and Pilsner or Lager Malt has a DP of around 140. At what Degree a malt is self converting depends on various factors. The number given around the Internet and in some prominent books seem to disagree with each other - 37, 40, 50. It may contribute ever so slightly to fermentability. Probably on a level that you don't have to worry about it.
Great info, thanks! Now I'm ambivalent as to what I should do...

List of exBEERiments

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
PupThePup
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

You haven't listed your entire recipe, or said what style you are trying to make (or I just missed it in reading), but here's a Northern Brewer All Grain Kit recipes that uses honey malt (around 9.375% of the grain bill in that recipe).