Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm tired of losing a gallon of beer during fermentation!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #61
WileECoyote
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Most say to rehydrate between 90-105F. Cooler temps,like 70-75F don't produce much of a cream. Kinda dead lookin most of the time. 80-85F was better,as they produced some seroius creams at 2C or less that foamed up high & thick. 90F was the highes & thickest,but I didn't get it's temp down to within 10 dgrees of the wort,which was 66F. Gunna cut the hydrate temp down to 80F to get closer to wort temps. The rehydrate worked pretty good at that temp anyway.
Thats some good info on the rehydrate temps, Im going to have to try the 80 deg rehydration tomorrow.

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #62
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's not what I was refering to. it was to the previous discussion above about initial fermentation vs reproductive phase making more 0ff flavors. I was giving my opinion on that,not rehydrate temps.
And it doesn't cool down that fast on it's own. It won't cool down from 90F to 75 or 80 in 30 minutes in a pyrex measuring cup. I'd have to use a small ice bath or something.
I just checked this with my Thermapen. I started with a cup of water at 95 degrees in a 4 cup measuring cup (Note: I even made sure it held at 95, i.e. the measuring cup was warm too). 30 minutes with Saran wrap on top and it got down to 79 degrees. My house is currently at 68 degrees. If you started at 90, as per the low end of the manufacturer's instructions you could easily get to within 10 degrees of common ale pitching temps. It might depend on the measuring cup too, though.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard