Are you a closet nerd? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Are you a closet nerd?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

I am a nerd and never was in the closet

Son of Grok I get your name. Read the book tons of times. Love outdoors stuff as a kid and now as a adult but while my friends were off doing their thing I was reading or trying to learn how to build something. I was 8 years old and my dad and I "built" a set of speakers. I pretty much just got in the way but I knew how a crossover worked at that age. I still have those speakers and even though they pale in quality to a new set I love to rock out with them.

Star Trek not Star Wars for me and I wanted to be Scotty. Just something about a warp core engine that I wanted on my bike

Still I love to hunt and camp so I do not think that being a nerd has hurt my manliness.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You know what's funny, I wasn't a nerd at all in school (although I was an A+ student), but I'm becoming a little geeky in my old age I think.

Homer knows me pretty well, and I wonder if you consider me a nerd/geek now?
IMO beer nerd/geek for sure.

But you have to watch and enjoy Firefly in order to be accepted as one of us.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
NateLTB
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, Washington
Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I've been a nerd from day one. Played a ton of Magic, HeroQuest, Blood Bowl and D&D in high school. Been playing video games from the Atari 2600 up to my current XBox 360. And I'm equally nerdy in my love of craft beer.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
IMO beer nerd/geek for sure.

But you have to watch and enjoy Firefly in order to be accepted as one of us.
I think voluntarily attending a Comic Con or a Star Trek Convention would also grant immediate entry. If you dressed up, you're not only in, but you're automatially elevated to Nerd Level-3.3

BTW - I prefer the term Geek. I don't know why, I just do.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I think voluntarily attending a Comic Con or a Star Trek Convention would also grant immediate entry. If you dressed up, you're not only in, but you're automatially elevated to Nerd Level-3.3

BTW - I prefer the term Geek. I don't know why, I just do.
Odd. I would NOT consider my wife to be a nerd or geek, but she does enjoy some of the shows, like Firefly, BSG and stuff like that.

She's even on board to maybe hit up Comic-con some day.

I may be wrong. She can understand most of the ThinkGeek stuff. Not sure if she "appreciates" it though.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Odd. I would NOT consider my wife to be a nerd or geek, but she does enjoy some of the shows, like Firefly, BSG and stuff like that.

She's even on board to maybe hit up Comic-con some day.

I may be wrong. She can understand most of the ThinkGeek stuff. Not sure if she "appreciates" it though.
I thought the same about my wife when we met. The first time I got a hint of anything else was when the teaser for the first new star trek came on and she actually squealed with delight. No really... a verbal like crow of excitement. I was like "Wtf?". She plays video games like a madwoman now too. She has her own room with her own tv and her own xbox so we don't have gaming conflicts. She also has her own steam account from which she packs away hours and hours of tropico 4, anno 2070, and DC Universe.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
I thought the same about my wife when we met. The first time I got a hint of anything else was when the teaser for the first new star trek came on and she actually squealed with delight. No really... a verbal like crow of excitement. I was like "Wtf?". She plays video games like a madwoman now too. She has her own room with her own tv and her own xbox so we don't have gaming conflicts. She also has her own steam account from which she packs away hours and hours of tropico 4, anno 2070, and DC Universe.
Well you know you can't let her take over Head Nerd status! Better get yoself a pocket protector!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
aygov
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Palos Hills, IL
Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts

I wouldn't say that I was ever in the closet, but I don't think I was ever an over the top nerd/geek growing up. I was always pretty good at sports, but I always enjoyed playing D&D and gaming as well. I guess I was sort of in the middle.

I would say I've geeked out more as I've gotten older though. I still do outdoor stuff, camping and fishing, but I'm well into gaming and building computers. Also working in IT makes it hard not to be a geek.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

Man, I wish I had the time to play D&D again. I only got a small taste back in school. Tried to DM a small dungeon with the kids and a friend, but it take so long to get going. Nobody has the time to spare to get in the groove.

I should just do up a VERY small 1-2 room dungeon for the young one. She's good at math so she can appreciate the dice and stats that go with the game.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #30
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 139 Times on 116 Posts

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-nerd-geek-or-dork-test

I scored a Joe Normal.