Are you a closet nerd? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Are you a closet nerd?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
aiptasia

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
A High shcool math/physics teacher with tats wierd, huh?
Not that weird. I'm also an inked up Science Teacher, but i'm a glutton for punishment and teach Middle School grades.

I guess we all geek out over something. That, or life just wouldn't be that much fun, would it? Everyone here has their beer thing. I don't have any reason to re-invent the wheel and build another computer nor have the time to invest in epic video games. My nerd-isms run towards what interests me now: zymurgy, scuba, aquaria, paranormal research.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5008 Times on 3380 Posts

Yup. Nerd.

It's kind of a job requirement for an IT manager.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ
Liked 229 Times on 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Or even an unabashed open nerd?

I have always been into things like computer games and reading fantasy novels. Heck I built an 88/8 pc back in the 90s when i was like 10 for those of you who know what that is and have been building things like that ever since. Growing up, I was always able to hide this behind excelling at sports, beating people up, drinking heavily, and a tough guy facade.

Now that I am older though and more secure and married to a gorgeous woman, my nerdhood is really starting to come to fruition. I still play video games and even got my model quality wife addicted to gaming out. I have started nerding out on brewing and other craft hobbies. I have started playing role playing games like D&D, rifts, and call of chuthulu with some old military buddies I met up with. I have always had a respectable gun collection (because that is acceptably tough and cool) but now I have started a sword collection which is undeniable nerdy but I absolutely love it.

The funny thing is that I am unabashed in this. I love nerding out these days and don't care who knows. My "tough guy" friends like to make fun of me until we spar or some other "manly" activity but they don't seem to have that much of a problem with it and I enjoy nerding out with my more nerdy friends as well.

Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm an audio engineer. If you want to look at it this way I'm half of the A/V club. I'm pretty good with computers because of this (mainly mac, PC just doesn't get used much by me) but I don't really get in to Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, etc.

I'm all about gaming though. In fact, I realized I was playing too much because when Black Ops II came out and I quit playing MWIII I was ranked in the top 100K in the world at MW III. I grew up on the 8 bit NES and loved it so much I recently put out a chiptunes record. I go by 8 Bit Rebellion (if anyone's interested) and you can listen to the stuff at last.fm. http://www.last.fm/music/8+Bit+Rebel...ight+B+A+Start

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nerd, but I embrace it...
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
dfc

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Not that weird. I'm also an inked up Science Teacher, but i'm a glutton for punishment and teach Middle School grades.

I guess we all geek out over something. That, or life just wouldn't be that much fun, would it? Everyone here has their beer thing. I don't have any reason to re-invent the wheel and build another computer nor have the time to invest in epic video games. My nerd-isms run towards what interests me now: zymurgy, scuba, aquaria, paranormal research.
I have plenty of tattoos and am a teacher as well. I teach at a post-secondary school, but still rock the tattoos every day (obviously). A great deal of my students have told me I'm their favorite instructor within the program, so either the tattoos don't matter or they really like them. Either way, I'm fine with it.

Simple bottling process

Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
dfc

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ

Simple bottling process

Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2978 Times on 1725 Posts

Yep, I can't get enough of Nova and similar programs, especially the episodes about physics and space.

m_c_zero Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 314 Times on 223 Posts

I love those shows.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
cluckk

Recipes 

Apr 2005
San Antonio, TX
Liked 361 Times on 230 Posts

I am something of a pragmatic nerd. I love technology, but am a late adopter of each new thing--preferring to wait for prices to drop and bugs to be worked out. I love to read, but prefer a good how-to text or scientific book over anything fiction. I don't play games because I see no intrinsic value in playing them--"You got to the next level, huh? What did you actually accomplish?" Perhaps my nerdiness is not pure, but my teenage daughter will testify that I am still a full-blown nerd.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5008 Times on 3380 Posts

I understand you completely. I play online games with friends. (I can't stand to play them with strangers) and a good friend HAS to get the coolest set of shoulders. Lately it's finding a rare dye set.

Really guys? This game is a fashion show to you?

For me leveling means having the HP and other stats to do battle with the next round of enemies which have more interesting actions and longer fights. It's getting to try out new attacks or abilities.

But in the end the game is still just time to spend with friends, figuring out the instance, telling jokes, whatever. If I didn't play with my friends I probably wouldn't play much at all. Sometimes I like to Jenkins the group just for laughs.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
I'm a lot less nerdy that's I was in high school. I still read fantasy novels, watch shows like Through the Wormhole and nerd out about beer, but back in the day it was computer programming, building computers, taking various electronic devices apart, chemistry kits and microscopes. I was more of a tech nerd, though, obviously. I was never into D&D or ComicCon and so ons and the what have yous.
You know what's funny, I wasn't a nerd at all in school (although I was an A+ student), but I'm becoming a little geeky in my old age I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Yup. Nerd.

It's kind of a job requirement for an IT manager.
Homer knows me pretty well, and I wonder if you consider me a nerd/geek now?