Are you a closet nerd? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Are you a closet nerd?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

Or even an unabashed open nerd?

I have always been into things like computer games and reading fantasy novels. Heck I built an 88/8 pc back in the 90s when i was like 10 for those of you who know what that is and have been building things like that ever since. Growing up, I was always able to hide this behind excelling at sports, beating people up, drinking heavily, and a tough guy facade.

Now that I am older though and more secure and married to a gorgeous woman, my nerdhood is really starting to come to fruition. I still play video games and even got my model quality wife addicted to gaming out. I have started nerding out on brewing and other craft hobbies. I have started playing role playing games like D&D, rifts, and call of chuthulu with some old military buddies I met up with. I have always had a respectable gun collection (because that is acceptably tough and cool) but now I have started a sword collection which is undeniable nerdy but I absolutely love it.

The funny thing is that I am unabashed in this. I love nerding out these days and don't care who knows. My "tough guy" friends like to make fun of me until we spar or some other "manly" activity but they don't seem to have that much of a problem with it and I enjoy nerding out with my more nerdy friends as well.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts

I'm not a closet nerd. Posting in the Hobbit thread proves it.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts

Got one of these hangng on my basement wall http://www.amazon.com/Massive-Klingo.../dp/B004NMHSWY.

Nuff said.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Waco, TX
Liked 313 Times on 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Got one of these hangng on my basement wall http://www.amazon.com/Massive-Klingo.../dp/B004NMHSWY.

Nuff said.
Touche b-boy... touche

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Touche b-boy... touche
Hey - if someone breaks into my house I'm heading for the basement. I can't wait to see the look in their eyes when I come up the stairs brandishing this bad boy. Who needs a gun?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Liked 280 Times on 217 Posts

An out of the closet NERD with "the Clint" For an avatar? As my generation said, "Far Out, Dude". I can't say I'm nerdy, although iv'e had aspirations toward the more scientific mathematical aspects of life. On the otherhand, I've had some rounds in bar fights and biker brawls, so it all evens out. A High shcool math/physics teacher with tats wierd, huh?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
certaut
Recipes 

Dec 2010
hughes springs, Texas
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I buit one of these and I have more ATmega328's running things like mash, fermentation, lights, heat, fish tank, etc. I build and fly r/c heli's, and planks
closet probably not,, does your beer taste strange?

pete

Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Mumbly
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Omaha, Ne
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Swmbo and I were watching the Big Bang theory, I can't remember the episode, but the gang was playing a board game. I look over at the misses and said "I know this is going to make me sound like a nerd, but I have that board game" (talisman)

I have been trying to sell my copy of encyclopedia magica, swmbo thought they were for a video game.

And lastly I have an original Nintendo entertainment system, in the original box, foam, and plastic bags.

There are plenty more glimpses of my inner nerd.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
basilchef
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Growing up i was nothing of the sort. In fact the exact opposite, captain of various sports teams, avid party animal, ect. Then i met my current swmbo... The quiet book worm who had been to comic con starting at a very young age. The rest is history. I have seen every star wars, fire fly, dr. Who, cowboy bebop, harry potter, lord of the rings, far scape, torchwood, sherlock, merlin and stargate episode/movie ever made. Not to mention countless british comedies and all the marvel/ comic book-to-screen movies. Im still working my way star trek. May the force be with you. Live long and prosper. Bow ties are cool.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

I'm a lot less nerdy that's I was in high school. I still read fantasy novels, watch shows like Through the Wormhole and nerd out about beer, but back in the day it was computer programming, building computers, taking various electronic devices apart, chemistry kits and microscopes. I was more of a tech nerd, though, obviously. I was never into D&D or ComicCon and so ons and the what have yous.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter