Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fruit in secondary

Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Drew966
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruit in secondary

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm pretty new to making cider. Right now I have 5 gallons of cider in my primary (just apple juice into which I pitched White Labs English Cider Yeast - WLP 775). I would like to do some experimentation with fruit in the secondary. I have four one gallon glass jugs that I intend to use as secondary fermentors, and I would like to add fruit to them. I'm not really sure about the best way to do this, as I am aware that fruit may have wild yeasts that can effect flavor. I was thinking about adding about a pound of frozen blueberries to one of the secondaries, a pound of frozen raspberries to another. I was thinking I could soak them briefly in vodka to try to kill off any wild yeasties. Does this sound like a decent idea? Should I crush or macerate the fruit after soaking/before putting it in the secondary? Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Liquidsandwich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default good to go

By using the frozen berries you should be ok, I haven't done it but a buddy of mine uses frozen berries in his cherry wheat and it was great. I used fresh Cherries in mine and it is pretty good too. Keep us posted on how they turn out. I have 5 G. of cider in the primary now, I added 2 lbs. of dextrose to the primary with some cider yeast, and a nother friend has the same only w/ apple juice instead of cider, so we can see which is better.