Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pellet hops filtering question

Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
McGlothan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pellet hops filtering question

Hi,

I have been using a bazooka screen in my brew kettle in the past to filter out my hops when draining the wort. I have run into clogs with the bazooka screen and have had to use my spoon to scrape the hops off the screen over and over to allow flow. I just bought a false bottom for my kettle and I intend on using this in addition to the bazooka screen. I know about paint strainer bags and those methods, but I got a false bottom for my kettle for cheap and I am curious how it will work with the bazooka screen together to filter pellet hops.

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6250 Times on 4454 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlothan View Post
Hi,

I have been using a bazooka screen in my brew kettle in the past to filter out my hops when draining the wort. I have run into clogs with the bazooka screen and have had to use my spoon to scrape the hops off the screen over and over to allow flow. I just bought a false bottom for my kettle and I intend on using this in addition to the bazooka screen. I know about paint strainer bags and those methods, but I got a false bottom for my kettle for cheap and I am curious how it will work with the bazooka screen together to filter pellet hops.

Thanks,

Shawn
In my experience, pellet hops will clog up false bottles and bazooka screens alike, but whole hops work beautifully with those set ups.

The only thing I've found that works with pellet hops is a bag. Luckily, in my system if I'm only using pellet hops it doesn't clog my system so I don't bag or filter them. But if I have a mix of leaf hops and pellet hops, I have to bag one or the other to keep my system from clogging! I'll usually use the bazooka screen and then just bag the pellet hops.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
McGlothan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In my experience, pellet hops will clog up false bottles and bazooka screens alike, but whole hops work beautifully with those set ups.

The only thing I've found that works with pellet hops is a bag. Luckily, in my system if I'm only using pellet hops it doesn't clog my system so I don't bag or filter them. But if I have a mix of leaf hops and pellet hops, I have to bag one or the other to keep my system from clogging! I'll usually use the bazooka screen and then just bag the pellet hops.
So the bag is the way to go? Can you just stretch a paint strainer bag around the top of the kettle so you dont have to hold the bag above the wort? I guess if I use the false bottom it could help keep the bag from scorching. Im brewing a Pliny the Elder clone and the amount of hops in this worries me about the clogging issues. I guess Im asking exactly how would you use the hops bags in this set up. Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I used a bag for the first time for my pellets a couple weeks ago just out of curiosity. Usually just dump the whole thing in to primary. The bag worked beautifully! Not one particle of hop got through that straining bag but I also question if it affected the utilization at all.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
So the bag is the way to go? Can you just stretch a paint strainer bag around the top of the kettle so you dont have to hold the bag above the wort? I guess if I use the false bottom it could help keep the bag from scorching. Im brewing a Pliny the Elder clone and the amount of hops in this worries me about the clogging issues. I guess Im asking exactly how would you use the hops bags in this set up. Thanks for the advice!
In my experience with hops bag, if you get them small enough they just float. BTW by small enough I don't mean they have to be tiny, but not steeping bag or paint strainer size. I just cut up some cheese cloth and it worked fine. I dont' use bags when I'm brewing non-hoppy beers though.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6250 Times on 4454 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
I have a "hops spider"- similar to this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-hops-spider-312923/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
McGlothan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I have a "hops spider"- similar to this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-hops-spider-312923/
Cool! I will attempt to make one of those but Im not sure if I can get it done by friday. Ill google around and see if I can find a DIY for one of those!

thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I don't really try to get the hops out. I whirlpool, but if it goes into the fermenter, its not a big deal. I just let it settle and dump it out the dump valve. I'm kinda everthing goes into the fermenter kinda guy.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
TheSquid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Long time lurker, getting ready to brew my first batch. I'll be boiling in a keggle fitted with a spigot. I had intended to build a copper dip tube aimed at the side wall and gravity feed through a CFC into the fermenter. However, after reading a little deeper, it looks like I may have issues with drawing off hops and break material. I considered whirlpooling but it sounds like whirlpooling and waiting for the trub cone to form in uncooled wort is a no no. I've heard some of you mention that using a bazooka tube and whole hops creates a good trub filter. Although it may serve as a filter, due you think it will slow my flow down enough to not allow it to move effectively through the gravity fed CFC? Any input is appreciated!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
McGlothan
Recipes 

The bazooka screen has always gotten gunked up for me with pellet hops. I've heard they work well with whole hops though. I haven't tried it myself with whole hops, but I can imagine it would work well. The pellet hops kind of turn to a thick slime that coats the screen, but whole hops would still let liquid through and probably filter as well.