Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > blueberry wine slow to ferment
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vernon hills, il
Posts: 644
Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default blueberry wine slow to ferment

I assembled this 3 weeks ago, with an og of 1.086. Racked to secondary last night and its only down to 1.050. Is this too slow?

I haven't made wine in a few years but all of my previous notes show a much faster fermentation.

Will this be ok? I plan to take gravity readings over the next few days to see how its going. I believe I used premiere cuvee yeast, and its fermenting at 65 degrees.

Thanks for any help!


__________________
My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!
wickman6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6
I assembled this 3 weeks ago, with an og of 1.086. Racked to secondary last night and its only down to 1.050. Is this too slow?

I haven't made wine in a few years but all of my previous notes show a much faster fermentation.

Will this be ok? I plan to take gravity readings over the next few days to see how its going. I believe I used premiere cuvee yeast, and its fermenting at 65 degrees.

Thanks for any help!
I'd warm it up a bit, say to 70 or so. If you have the primary under airlock you'll be fine at this pace. Once you get to 1.010 move it to your carboy.


novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
KBentley57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 244
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

It does seem a little slow, but not unusually so, probably just in the upper limit. Have you done any nutrient additions? It would be helpful if you posted your recipe/notes if you have any for this one.
KBentley57 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vernon hills, il
Posts: 644
Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

I have the recipe here.

10.5# frozen blueberries
Table sugar to get to og.
About 4 gal water
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp tannin
3 tsp acid blend
Kmeta to sanitize

And I also used pasteur red yeast, not the one I listed before.

I do have a room I can move it to that's a bit warmer, I'll move it there.
__________________
My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!
wickman6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6
I have the recipe here.

10.5# frozen blueberries
Table sugar to get to og.
About 4 gal water
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp tannin
3 tsp acid blend
Kmeta to sanitize

And I also used pasteur red yeast, not the one I listed before.

I do have a room I can move it to that's a bit warmer, I'll move it there.
Add some yeast nutrient.
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vernon hills, il
Posts: 644
Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

Oops, forgot to mention that. I did use some, don't remember how much and I didn't write it down but I used whatever Wyeast recommends on their package. Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I might not have done is oxygenate well enough. Would it be ok to do so now, or should I just warm it up and see if fermentation kicks up?
__________________
My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!
wickman6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6
Oops, forgot to mention that. I did use some, don't remember how much and I didn't write it down but I used whatever Wyeast recommends on their package. Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I might not have done is oxygenate well enough. Would it be ok to do so now, or should I just warm it up and see if fermentation kicks up?
If you haven't been stirring it daily, start now.
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Blueberry is notorious for being hard to start and for stalling. If you have not hit the 2/3 sugar break definitely dose with nutrient, keep it close to 70F and give it a good stir. The class of fruit it comes from, or is it species, is the problem...vacinuum. Some times you have to pitch a second yeast, like EC1118 or KV1116 to get it to finish, or in the future make a good starter.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara
saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
okemasis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 40
Likes Given: 2

Default

Saramc - when you say 2/3 sugar break, do you mean 2/3 of the way to 1.000 ?
eg - initial is 1.09, so you would rack at 1.03 ?
okemasis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

2/3 sugar break, if initial is 1.090 you would rack at 1.030


__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara
saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S-04 ferment slow? MG1602 Fermentation & Yeast 10 01-07-2012 09:09 PM
Slow Ferment ksbrain General Beer Discussion 5 02-12-2011 09:39 PM
Slow Ferment Droot General Techniques 2 06-28-2009 11:33 PM
blackberry wine, slow ferment. fireball Wine Making Forum 15 01-30-2009 10:54 PM
Slow Ferment jro16 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 03-13-2006 12:44 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS