Blood Oranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleRainbow

Reaction score
I bought some blood oranges to brew a blood orange hef. The problem is blood oranges are difficult to find and my brew day has been pushed back. Im looking for opinions on what to do. Would it be ok to zest them, dehydrate the zest and freeze the peeled fruit until it time to use. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks All!!!

If you are going to use the juice, you could just juice them and freeze the juice until you are ready. I've never made anything like this so it's just a guess.

I have a blood orange tree in my back yard and my suggestion would be to juice them, including as much of the pulp as possible, and freeze it. I don't have that recipe in hand but I did read it a couple years ago and I seem to recall it requires sections of fruit to be boiled or something. I've never tried to freeze sections of fruit, but it may work. I know freezing juice works well.

I think you would lose much of the flavor and aromatics by dehydrating the zest so I would use fresh zest from some other type of orange. There's no difference, really. I also have valencia orange and tangelo trees and I can't tell a difference between the taste and aromatics of the zest. Color, maybe, but I assume the zest will be filtered out. Plus, you'll get all the color and flavor you need from the juice. Good luck.

blood orange season is just starting, they should be more prevalent now through march. but i also would zest them and freeze the zest, juice them and freeze the juice, if i had to

blood orange season is just starting, they should be more prevalent now through march. but i also would zest them and freeze the zest, juice them and freeze the juice, if i had to

I thought blood orange season started in December and ended in January? At least that's what it seems to be in Indiana.

Thanks everyone. Oranges are juiced, zested and in the freezer awating their demise into the pit of my brew pot!!

Back