Hop sludge in my primary. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hop sludge in my primary.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Space Butler
Recipes 

Jun 2007

I have a green sludge below my trub in my new batch of bavarian hefe. Usually all the green junk raises in the krausen and deposits itself on the sides of the carboy. Will the submerged hop resins destroy the flavor of my beer. Right now it smells fine (like yummy bananas and alcohol).

Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Leftover hops in the fermenter have very little impact on the flavor, unless they are from a flame-out add.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
OneShoeBrew
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Houston, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Leftover hops in the fermenter have very little impact on the flavor, unless they are from a flame-out add.
I can't find the answer elsewhere, so sorry to ask again...

After you've cooled the wort and poured it into the Primary, should you also pour in all the hops that are leftover from the boil?

If not, how does the final hopping do its job of providing aroma?

Thanks,

Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShoeBrew
I can't find the answer elsewhere, so sorry to ask again...

After you've cooled the wort and poured it into the Primary, should you also pour in all the hops that are leftover from the boil?

If not, how does the final hopping do its job of providing aroma?

Thanks,
If you can avoid it, people usually do not. The aroma addition does its job with the hot wort, before you cool. If you let them sit longer you could start to extract flavors too, so I have heard. They are sometimes called "grassy." Most people like to add at flame out, cool, separate the hops from the wort, and then add more dry hops if more aroma is needed.

BTW, Welcome!