Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB paint strainer bag burned on bottom of kettle.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Tipharet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I have a glass circular pie pan, would that work? Im curious if the heat transfer to glass would still cause the bag to burn if resting on it.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I don't think I'd want to deal with glass at high temps. If you heat that glass up or cool it down too fast, it will break.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

This is what I use as a false bottom:

http://www.wayfair.com/Victorio-Stai...6-VRO1025.html

They sell them in the canning section at Walmart.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went to target and picked up a collapsible stainless steel steamer basket. Opens like petals on a flour. Open fully and put upside down at the bottom of the kettle. Did it to keep the bag of the dip tube, but it serves both purposes. Also, I rarely need to fire the kettle with the bag in it. If I do, its gentle and for a short period if time. How do you insulate the kettle during the mash?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2975 Times on 2569 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

No need for any of those more expensive steamer racks,etc. Just get a cake cooling rack that fits inside the bottom of the BK/MLT & proceed. works great for me every time. They have some 1/2" or so legs on them to hold them a bit off the bottom. So hot water can circulate under the bag. Works great for mashing or steeping.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
iamperplexed
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is everyone pulling their various racks, false bottoms out after the mash and before the boil?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a "collapsible vegetable steamer" (google those exact words to see what I'm taking about). I think it's stainless but I'm not sure. It came with 4 stubby legs and a shaft in the center with a ring on it. A couple minutes with a set of pliers and the legs and shaft were gone. I got it at a dollar store for pretty cheap (but it was more than a dollar - false advertising).

I remove the steamer after the mash and before the boil. The first time I tried to hook it out with the spoon but it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Now I tie the steamer onto the handle of my pot with a short length of dental floss. When the mash is over I take out the unburned mesh bag and let it drip out then I pull the steamer out using the floss and let it drip off before tossing it in the sink.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
Is everyone pulling their various racks, false bottoms out after the mash and before the boil?
I remove mine after the mash and before the boil. I too use a collapsable steamer and remove it using tongs.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
iamperplexed
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNewf View Post
I use a "collapsible vegetable steamer" (google those exact words to see what I'm taking about). I think it's stainless but I'm not sure. It came with 4 stubby legs and a shaft in the center with a ring on it. A couple minutes with a set of pliers and the legs and shaft were gone. I got it at a dollar store for pretty cheap (but it was more than a dollar - false advertising).

I remove the steamer after the mash and before the boil. The first time I tried to hook it out with the spoon but it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Now I tie the steamer onto the handle of my pot with a short length of dental floss. When the mash is over I take out the unburned mesh bag and let it drip out then I pull the steamer out using the floss and let it drip off before tossing it in the sink.
I have a steamer basket and actually, ours has a removable center shaft. I had it in my hand, almost used it yesterday for my first BIAB. I was concerned that it would snag the bag and that fishing it out would be an issue so I skipped it. Instead I did a lot of stirring and lifting the bag while raising the heat. My pot held temp much better than I had assumed so next time there will be less checking temp for sure.

Do you invert the basket to create a dome or place it in right side up on its legs?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
Mine is hooked up with a metal chain that clips to one of the handles on the kettle. I pull it out after the mash. A stainless steel canning rack works pretty well.