Blew up another IPA!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Made my second batch of IPA. Turns out every time I make it I end up blowing up the airlock and spewing beer onto my celling.

I found out what I did. After the boil, I cold shocked in a ice bath, then after the wart was cooled off I just poured all the contents into the carboy, instead of racking off the hops and sediment from the cold shock. So this time in my state of emergency , I split the 5 gallon batch into two 5 gallon carboys. 2.5 in each until the main fermentation settles down. When I inspected the airlock, it was clogged with hops. I even had it going into a blow off tube and it still blew it off. Is my splitting into the 2 carboys a good idea? Do you have a better plan? Thank you!

On my higher gravity beers, I always start with a blow off tube. Try running your tube straight from your stopper, instead of starting it at the airlock. It has worked numerous times for me.

Back