Shut Up and Brew It - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Shut Up and Brew It

Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5303 Times on 4516 Posts

We keep seeing these threads trashing BMC, and often times American lagers in general, as junk. Trash beer. Cheap, flavorless crap. Or nasty tasting crap. Or how it's blah blah blah, anyone could brew that swill. And that last remark is often followed with the built in cop out, but who would want to.

Okay, tough guy. Brew it.

I motion that anyone who makes such incredulous comments must brew an American lager on par with that of BMC and submit it to be judged by HBT or an officially recognized BJCP competition. Then they have to do it at least once more. Minimum 5 gallon batches. The scores must then be posted here. It has to take at least bronze, twice, for that person to spout off.

PS
Bud Platinum really does suck. That's the one freebee.

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
nowhere near NYC, New York
Liked 288 Times on 201 Posts

I for one love American and Canadian BMC beers. After all, Why else would any of us be brewing beer if we hadn't drank lots of it from one of the big companies, and liked it!!!! If you didn't like it you would be making wine!

I'm not saying that it's the best beer ever, but I have 8-10 different kinds in the beer fridge at all times. Most are very drinkable, which is more than I can say for a lot of home brews I've been asked to try.

Think about it.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts

Right on, man. I don't really care for it personally but I won't turn one down at a party. You don't have to like it but you do have to respect what those brewers do on a daily basis year after year.

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Leadgolem

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts

Hmm, I don't care enough to make that large of a batch of something I don't care for. Or go through the judge etc, but it might be interesting to see what the process for a lite lager is like.... I'll add it to the list once I have temp control equipment.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
MetallHed

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Dude sometimes I just want to drink a 12 pack of mich light while playing video games. In summer I like to pound some Leinie's lights while mowing the lawn. I don't always like being full or tipsy after a few beers of craft/homebrew beer. Sometimes I just want quantity over quality. Eff it.. the BMC bashing threads are insanely annoying so I just avoid them.

If someone has a bomb recipe and technique for making that kind of stuff at home I'd be all over it.

I have been meaning to try this one for some time now: Recipe

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
We keep seeing these threads trashing BMC, and often times American lagers in general, as junk. Trash beer. Cheap, flavorless crap. Or nasty tasting crap. Or how it's blah blah blah, anyone could brew that swill. And that last remark is often followed with the built in cop out, but who would want to.

Okay, tough guy. Brew it.

I motion that anyone who makes such incredulous comments must brew an American lager on par with that of BMC and submit it to be judged by HBT or an officially recognized BJCP competition. Then they have to do it at least once more. Minimum 5 gallon batches. The scores must then be posted here. It has to take at least bronze, twice, for that person to spout off.

PS
Bud Platinum really does suck. That's the one freebee.
I used to be a BMC trash talker before I reached enlightenment, but in order to make amends I'd like to retroactively take up this challenge. If I opt to have it judged by HBT, what constitutes a successful brew?

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Liked 5898 Times on 3469 Posts

I do not like Bud, Miller, Coors or any of their Light/Lite offerings. I will turn it down at a party, because I do not like the taste. I will not waste my time or money to brew something I don't like and have it judged because someone else wants me to prove something.
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts

BMC do suck. And why would I want to brew an adjunct lager when I can brew a real German Lager?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
MetallHed

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
I do not like Bud, Miller, Coors or any of their Light/Lite offerings. I will turn it down at a party, because I do not like the taste. I will not waste my time or money to brew something I don't like and have it judged because someone else wants me to prove something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
BMC do suck. And why would I want to brew an adjunct lager when I can brew a real German Lager?
The challenge wasn't to brew it because you like it, it was to PYMWYMI.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I haven't cared much for my homebrew versions. Probably my methods, but in the end I rarely want a light lager anyway. They can be tough to brew if you don't have your process under control and a good recipe. I've decided to part ways with one of my fridges since I really don't see myself needing a dedicated lagering chamber.

Then I think I just want to brew one for the challenge. Maybe a half-batch in the kitchen and then lager in the garage while it's winter.