Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > false bottom/metal trivet

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Default false bottom/metal trivet

When you all talk about a "false bottom" do you mean a metal trivet? Why would you call it a false bottom, if it's real, it exists?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yes. They look similar. Isn't a trivet used to keep your hot pan from burning your countertop or table? That's a completely different function. It's called a false bottom because it's a bottom but not "the" bottom. Hopefully, it's the bottom of you grain but not your mash water. With all the wacko jargon in homebrew, I think it's pretty funny you picked this one to gripe about.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
Yes. They look similar. Isn't a trivet used to keep your hot pan from burning your countertop or table? That's a completely different function. It's called a false bottom because it's a bottom but not "the" bottom. Hopefully, it's the bottom of you grain but not your mash water. With all the wacko jargon in homebrew, I think it's pretty funny you picked this one to gripe about.
Well, I asked because I ordered a false bottom, but then realized, oh look, this will work, I wasted my money. The metal trivet I have is to put on the bottom of your pan to keep the meat or whatever from actually touching the bottom of the pan. A false bottom... I guess I wasted my money buying one...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5736 Times on 4107 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Well, I asked because I ordered a false bottom, but then realized, oh look, this will work, I wasted my money. The metal trivet I have is to put on the bottom of your pan to keep the meat or whatever from actually touching the bottom of the pan. A false bottom... I guess I wasted my money buying one...
Well, not really. Unless you're doing BIAB, I guess. The purpose of the false bottom is to keep the grain above the drain, so you can drain off the wort. It's to separate the grain from the wort. I think a trivet would not work very well as a strainer!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, not really. Unless you're doing BIAB, I guess. The purpose of the false bottom is to keep the grain above the drain, so you can drain off the wort. It's to separate the grain from the wort. I think a trivet would not work very well as a strainer!
Well, I am doing BIAB and just wanted to keep my bag from touching the bottom of the pot. But I see, when I move past BIAB I will have what I need for the job. Thanks, glad I didn't waste my money. All this stuff to learn, confuses me many times. But, I'll get there... eventually!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 301

false bottom will be totally necessary when you move past the bag. you will be glad you went ahead and spent on it now when you start pricing out a few more stainless vessels. bobbilynn, after reading your post in the neighbor from hell thread, you are a legend, at least in my books....carryon