Had my first Screw up with AG.....Well kinda...Not Really - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Had my first Screw up with AG.....Well kinda...Not Really

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Mosinee, WI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I was brewing my first Nut Brown yesterday morning which is only my second AG batch and everything was going as to plan. After collecting my pre-boil volume from the MLT I took my pre-boil gravity reading and found it to come out REALLY low (1.038). Supposed to be around 1.046. After thinking I botched my efficiency to around 55% when I had Beersmith set to 75% I resorted to "Designing Great Beers" and calculated the amount of DME to add in order to hit my Expected OG of 1.054.

At this point, I was happy with myself for actually taking the time to figure out everything I needed instead of just being satisfied with a low efficiency beer. After adding the DME to the boil, it dawns on me..... I never adjusted the 1.038 for the temp of the Mash.

Now I go back to Beersmith and recalculate and find out that I originally blew 75% efficiency out of the water to the tune of 85%ish and now have a higher potential alcohol Nut Brown on my hands with the DME addition.

Now, this is by no means a bad thing, however it is way out of style now which is what I was trying to do for the first few batches of AG. None the less Everything else went according to plan and I still have beer.

Here's to my weekend brew story!!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
bratrules
Recipes 

Oct 2010
socal
Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Did you adjust your ibu's? If you did then your fine. And even if you didn't am sure it will be good just not as hoppy as originally planned.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Mosinee, WI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did not. I will take note of that if it happens again. It's only supposed to be 27IBU so if its a bit less I probably won't notice much. Even if I knew, I wouldn't have had extra hops on hand anyway. Thanks