Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Secondary Fermentation for Lambic beer

Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Jgross02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation for Lambic beer

Hi,
So I have a question about my planned secondary fermentation. I would just like some opinions.
I have started a lambic normally and it's now in primary fermentation with wyeast lambic blend yeast and am going to leave it there for at least 8 months. Then I would like to do something weird. I'm going to move it to a secondary fermenter (another Carboy) and add a few oak chips AND add a new yeast strand I think. I'm thinking about American ale II or just the pasteur champagne yeast strain and leave it in secondary for around 2 weeks to 2 months. This would be instead of pitching new yeast at bottling. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations? Criticisms? Or insight on which one i should use? I'm leaving towards champagne. Or should I change up fermentation times? Any opinions on what you guys think I should do or shouldn't do? I'm open to other strains or bugs being added! Thanks!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 54

After 8 months on lambic blend you aren't going to have anything left for a sacc yeast to eat, in fact, it would more likely be tossing the other bugs some expensive food.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
lowtones84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Are you going to primary for 8 months? It would probably be fine but I think moving it to secondary after a month or so is advisable. Then again I've never actually brewed a lambic before, only researched it.

I don't think what you're proposing is weird, other than the fact that I think you should pitch some other bugs rather than a standard strain of yeast. Maybe the dregs from a favorite sour of your's or something.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I agree with Bensiff.

Although, you can use a different yeast when you go to bottle your lambic. Bzart was made by finishing lambic via the champagne method.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Jgross02
Recipes 

So I'm thinking 4 months primary and then rack into secondary and add a gueuze dreg and leave that for four months, then rack to bottle bucket pitch champagne yeast and add priming sugar, then bottle. Thoughts?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
levifunk
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 39

just add the geuze dregs now. no point in waiting.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
BryanThompson
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

No point in racking either unless you don't want a lot of funk.

Bottled: Traditional Mead aged on Maker's 46 soaked oak, Brett Maibock