Hey guys. Im at a loss at the moment hopefully someone can get me straightened out. just started doing mini batches, of about 10L in size to experiment with some recipes... this was my first try, (doing an APA). i calculated my water and recipe to come out to a final volume of 10L. did not count for trub loss as I wasnt sure how much I was going to loose with this setup, I figured i would add it into my calculations the next batch once I know how much I had left over. Everything went perfect. Pre boil gravity was spot on, evaporation was ok. and my efficiency from milling seems to me right at 75 the way I had it set up. my final gravity or (OG was spot on too ok, i point higher)....UNTILL!!! it came to wort chilling. Chilled my wort to 18C and set it aside, gave it a good swirl with a paddle and I let it sit for 30 min.. I started siphoning my wort into my bucket and OH NO!!! at about half way I hit the trub. thick sludge. It couldn't even whirlpool. it basically split evenly 5L clear wort/5Ltrub. of my 10 L. I decided to put the 5L trub in a bucket in the fridge over night just to see if anything more settles, but not much more has settled.
Is it possible to get almost 50% trubb material in a small 10L batch.. I thought everything would be in proportion to a normal batch including the trub. my original boil amount was about 13.4L
I would love to hear some advice if anyone has something to add to this or you yourself have done mini test mashes...