Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > More Hop/Bitterness Please

Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
tshinefield
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default More Hop/Bitterness Please

Extract Brewing Topic - I like a good smooth balanced beer. Not crazy about double or triple IPA's and all a heavy bitterness. But I have notices I am struggling to get any real bitterness in batches for the last year. I am thinking it may have to do with the fact I have been doing smaller 2-3 gallon boils (5 gallon batch) or my nylon hop bag is not letting out the hop love (60 min boil with 4 hop additions). I have done several each brown ales, Irish Red and american reds that are good but have little or no bitterness. Either way I think my next batch I will do more water and not use a hop bag at all and strain the wort as it goes into the carboy.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think your on the right path with your next batch. The only time I use hop bags now are for dry hopping, I'll also toss some marbles in the bag to kind of weigh them down.

Boil volume will effect your hop efficiency. 3 gallons is towards to smaller size of a boil that you'd want to do. If you have a big enough kettle do a 5.5 or 6 G boil. Skip the hop bags use a strainer as planned. Make sure you strainer can sit on your bucket or fermenter on its own or have a 3rd hand around. Mine fits in my funnel and I put it on top of my carboy. I still have to stop pouring halfway through and use a spoon to stir up the hops on the strainer to get more through. It takes a little time but if your careful you wont have any accidents.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
EDS2K
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
I think your on the right path with your next batch. The only time I use hop bags now are for dry hopping, I'll also toss some marbles in the bag to kind of weigh them down.

Boil volume will effect your hop efficiency. 3 gallons is towards to smaller size of a boil that you'd want to do. If you have a big enough kettle do a 5.5 or 6 G boil. Skip the hop bags use a strainer as planned. Make sure you strainer can sit on your bucket or fermenter on its own or have a 3rd hand around. Mine fits in my funnel and I put it on top of my carboy. I still have to stop pouring halfway through and use a spoon to stir up the hops on the strainer to get more through. It takes a little time but if your careful you wont have any accidents.
Marbles! Fantastic. I am a fan of nylon bags for steeping grains and for hops - the floating hops issue drives me nuts. Why did I not think of marbles? Thanks!