Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Stand configuration help - Two tier options vs single tier

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
cracked1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stand configuration help - Two tier options vs single tier

I will be building a new stand over the next week or so and I'm looking for some input. I recently purchased a pump and my initial thought was to build a two tier with the HLT on top then the MLT and BK side by side. I currently batch sparge and thought that this would be an easy way to try out fly sparging. I have seen others build this way but I've also seen where the HLT and the MLT were side by side then the BK was a step lower. I'm not sure I understand why someone would build it this way. Is there some sort of advantage that I don't see? My third option (the way I'm leaning) is to build a single tier and continue to batch sparge until I decide to buy a second pump. Also, the stand is being built out of strut and so will be easily modified in the future.

I've looked at nearly every page in the "Show us your brew sculpture" thread and done some other searches and just can't seem to decide... Any opinions? Thanks!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked1 View Post
I will be building a new stand over the next week or so and I'm looking for some input. I recently purchased a pump and my initial thought was to build a two tier with the HLT on top then the MLT and BK side by side. I currently batch sparge and thought that this would be an easy way to try out fly sparging. I have seen others build this way but I've also seen where the HLT and the MLT were side by side then the BK was a step lower. I'm not sure I understand why someone would build it this way. Is there some sort of advantage that I don't see? My third option (the way I'm leaning) is to build a single tier and continue to batch sparge until I decide to buy a second pump. Also, the stand is being built out of strut and so will be easily modified in the future.

I've looked at nearly every page in the "Show us your brew sculpture" thread and done some other searches and just can't seem to decide... Any opinions? Thanks!
With a two tier, I always had my HLT and MLT side by side, and then gravity drained to the BK on the lower level. That worked great. You don't need to transfer tubing to pump to the BK that way, since it's gravity drained.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
kbowman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I use a three tiered system but I always thought that if I had a pump and went to two tiered stand I would want HLT above the other two vessels. My logic is that with this set up you could use the pump to recirculate the mash (instead of catching the first wort in a pitcher) then move the hose from the MLT to the BK. That's just how I would do it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I recently built my 3 tier stand and was originally going to build a 2 tier but decided to go with a 3 tier so I didn't need a pump, anyway I was going to go with the HLT and MT on the same level so I could use the pump to sparge and then drain directly into the BK.