Are bottle conditioning and secondary conditioning the same thing? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are bottle conditioning and secondary conditioning the same thing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
bgpbrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



So going over the mechanics/chemistry/biology of all of these fermentation and conditioning processes, I've begun to wonder-- why do a secondary conditioning at all? Why not just bottle and allow the conditioning to happen there in each bottle? Is the conditioning that happens there different from using a secondary?

A second and related question is: so after bottling with priming sugar, aren't the yeast back in fermentation mode and producing all the esters, diacetyl, etc that the secondary conditioning was supposed to remove (and may again just be removed by bottle conditioning)?

Thanks for any ideas.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,876
Liked 403 Times on 287 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpbrew View Post
So going over the mechanics/chemistry/biology of all of these fermentation and conditioning processes, I've begun to wonder-- why do a secondary conditioning at all? Why not just bottle and allow the conditioning to happen there in each bottle? Is the conditioning that happens there different from using a secondary?

A second and related question is: so after bottling with priming sugar, aren't the yeast back in fermentation mode and producing all the esters, diacetyl, etc that the secondary conditioning was supposed to remove (and may again just be removed by bottle conditioning)?

Thanks for any ideas.
A seconday ferm is not necessary at all. Moving to seconday is most useful when you are adding additional ingredients such as dry hops, oak, etc. It could also be called a brite tank, as the beer will continue to clear in secondary. Another reason is for bulk aging. During this process, the beer is usually moved off the trub from primary and aged all together. Aging will occur differently in bottles due to temp and volume. Bottle conditioning is carbonating in the bottle with sugar, then aging (if necessary).

The fermentation that occurs in the bottle with priming sugar is so small and fast that any off flavors produced are undetectable.


__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

F250 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
scrapes
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 90
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Along the same line of thinking, not meant to be thread hijack, is cold crashing your secondary the same as chilling your beer for drinking? My assumption is that both work but the crashed bottles will have sediment?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
grathan
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Albany, NY
Posts: 2,250
Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts


yeah beer in a bottle is the same as beer in a carboy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
JustLooking
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Posts: 639
Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts


hmmmm, so the benefits of bulk conditioning are a myth?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
jakeperks
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Telford, Shropshire
Posts: 69
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking
hmmmm, so the benefits of bulk conditioning are a myth?
I'd rather have the sediment drop out in my bucket than my bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
grathan
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Albany, NY
Posts: 2,250
Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
hmmmm, so the benefits of bulk conditioning are a myth?

Which benefits?

The only the only downside to letting the sediment fall in bottles instead of a carboy would be effects seen after 1 year in the bottle. This would only be due to the oxygen that is in the bottle. There would also be a slight very slight flavor from the sediment of dead yeast, but this only effects a very small bit of the beer near the bottom assuming the bottles were stationary. But who really sits on homebrew for a year anyways?

I suppose if you had like a barley wine or something that the yeast would take a long time to drop, then limiting the time in the bottle exposed to oxygen would be beneficial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
bgpbrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks for such quick responses!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,876
Liked 403 Times on 287 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post

Which benefits?

The only the only downside to letting the sediment fall in bottles instead of a carboy would be effects seen after 1 year in the bottle. This would only be due to the oxygen that is in the bottle. There would also be a slight very slight flavor from the sediment of dead yeast, but this only effects a very small bit of the beer near the bottom assuming the bottles were stationary. But who really sits on homebrew for a year anyways?

I suppose if you had like a barley wine or something that the yeast would take a long time to drop, then limiting the time in the bottle exposed to oxygen would be beneficial.
There are many benfits to bulk aging. Your beer conditions faster and more uniformly by bulk aging. I have many beers that I let sit for a year or longer, there are many that are best when they have sat that long. And its not about letting the yeast drop out, that happens quickly in the fridge, it is about blending the flavors, and there are no bad flavors in the beer on the bottom of the bottle.
__________________
Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
bgpbrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


One more question-- so would the advice about not using a secondary be the same whether I use a carboy or bucket for my primary fermentation?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secondary vs. bottle conditioning? bd2xu Bottling/Kegging 11 09-09-2012 10:50 PM
Bottle conditioning vs secondary Buttnsty Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 05-05-2012 12:21 AM
Bottle Conditioning after secondary bribo179 Fermentation & Yeast 4 11-18-2011 04:41 PM
Bottle Conditioning and Secondary Conditioning manoaction General Techniques 7 09-08-2010 01:59 AM
Secondary Vs. Bottle Conditioning rrj713 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 25 02-15-2009 10:37 PM


Forum Jump