Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Decoction question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
kyle6357
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Default Decoction question

Looking at a recipe that recommends decoction. I understand the basic principal of it but how do I know how much water to start with so I get right amount of wort.

Also do you sparge with decoction? You do right? If so how much water? I'm going for a 5 gallon brew.


kyle6357 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,681
Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default

When I do a 2 step decoction I start with the mash in 2 separate MLTs, my direct fire MLT with 40% of the grist (1.5qts per pound), and my Cooler MLT with the remaining 60% (1.5qts per pound).

Dough in the cooler to arrive at your sacch rest temp. Heat the direct fire to 125 and rest for 10 minutes, then bring it to a boil for 10 minutes (or whatever the recipe schedule calls for). Then recombine the grist into the cooler to bring the entire mash up to the final rest temp.


__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,208
Liked 232 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Read this. Watch the videos at the end.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...Mashing#Videos
__________________
Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.
arturo7 is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
kyle6357
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Default

Cool thaks. I think I'm good to go now. Luckily the recipe I found has volume size for decoction to bring temps up I found later. iMac double check with calculation.
kyle6357 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
decoction question? martinworswick General Techniques 2 04-23-2010 05:40 AM
Decoction question Clonefarmer General Techniques 1 03-30-2009 12:30 AM
Decoction Question Cpsurfer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 03-20-2009 05:27 PM
Decoction Question AnOldUR All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 06-21-2008 11:25 PM
decoction question Judd All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 12-03-2007 10:47 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS