Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 12 days, fully attenuated, krausen won't fall

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
atreid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Omit the dryhop? Sounds to me like you're going insane or something...! ;-)

What style of beer is this?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's an experiment I'm doing - to see if I can make as good a batch of beer with a beefed up no boil kit as I can a full boil extract or PM. My goal is to come up with an easy recipe that I can use to keep beer in rotation that won't eat up a lot of time to make.

I'm not really sure what category this would fit in. This is based on the Cooper's Real Ale kit, which is already moderately hopped (~40 IBU), but bittering hops only.

I'm hoping with the cascade hops that it turns out like an APA. BeerSmith tells me I should be at 5.4% ABV, 47 IBU (not sure I believe this), 7.7 SRM. I've been debating dry hopping to be more along the lines of an APA.

Recipe:
3.75lbs Cooper's Real Ale LME
2lbs Light DME
1lb dextrose
.25lb maltodextrine
1oz Cascade Pellet Hops (7.1%)
US-05 11g pack

Boil 3 liters of water and boil hops for 10 minutes, strain into fermenter. Mix in light DME and other adjuncts, mix in LME, top up with water and mix well.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
atreid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Then I would NOT skip the dryhop part...

I know it's a personal taste thing, but this recipe looks tasteless already as it is... ;-) Without the dryhop part, I'm afraid it's gonna have the personality of an uncooked green bean... :-P

You only need to sacrifice less than a tiny liter, after all... ;-)
goodsuds Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreid View Post
I'm afraid it's gonna have the personality of an uncooked green bean... :-P
LOL. Yeah, it tastes okay as is, but it lacks that hop aroma I love in my APAs.

If the stupid krausen drops by tomorrow I'll dry hop in primary, otherwise I'll just rack to secondary and dry hop there.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #15
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got home and checked on it and the krausen is falling out. It is still there, across most of the surface, but very thin compared to the last few days. I took another hydrometer sample and it is at 1.011. I'm amazed at the difference in the smell, taste and appearance in just 1 day at a slightly lower temp. Much less yeasty and cleaner. I'll definitely dry hop it tomorrow to get some more hop flavor and aroma.

Thanks for the replies!