Im a house husband, anyone else lucky enough? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Im a house husband, anyone else lucky enough?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

That's great if you're happy.

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.
Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
+HopSpunge+
 
+HopSpunge+'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
buffalo, new york
Posts: 614
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts


I could deal with it I think. But, I would not want to be called a "House Husband" ever. I would have to come up with a new term to describe this new found freedom.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,258
Liked 7742 Times on 5432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.
Like I said, if you find personal fullfillment and happiness, I think it's great.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post
Damn! You should open a brewery!

Ostomo, yea, I wouldn't be able to just 'not work' maybe it's a protestant work ethic thing from my parents, or just the need to be a part of something larger than myself. Even if I was a lottery billionaire I would just get bored with no job to do.

then again, I would probably just be busy running a brewery
I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That's great if you're happy.

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.
Yes, that's me. If I was ever fully retired of in this fellas situation I would need to have a wood shop or a machine shop or some way of keeping busy. You can only drink so much beer. Even when I am working and we get a little slow my skin starts crawling. I think I'd be a fat alcoholic.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #16
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bulls Beers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Posts: 3,247
Liked 163 Times on 125 Posts


No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.
__________________
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
hoppyhoppyhippo
 
hoppyhoppyhippo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,709
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts


You're living my dream life. I'd love to not do anything but cook and brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
roastquake
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Aiken, SC
Posts: 1,653
Liked 249 Times on 204 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.
I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.
I work when we are taking a trip outta the country or long vacay. And we are never having kids. And I dont "sit around the house" and sorry for you that its what it takes for you to feel like a "man".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
Ostomo517
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post

I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.
I think it is a natural transition like you said.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should I buy for my husband? myhusbandhomebrews General Beer Discussion 45 12-27-2012 12:16 AM
Best husband ever ;) brewinggirl General Beer Discussion 12 02-16-2012 10:55 PM
Help me win a Kegerator for my husband? BeerJuice27 Cooking & Pairing 6 08-27-2010 07:43 PM
Getting something for husband kdixon Equipment/Sanitation 12 02-11-2009 01:45 PM
Christmas for my husband maryjane Bottling/Kegging 27 12-30-2008 08:52 PM


Forum Jump