Im a house husband, anyone else lucky enough? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Im a house husband, anyone else lucky enough?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan
Liked 597 Times on 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

That's great if you're happy.

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.
Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
+HopSpunge+

Recipes 

Sep 2012
buffalo, new york
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

I could deal with it I think. But, I would not want to be called a "House Husband" ever. I would have to come up with a new term to describe this new found freedom.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7742 Times on 5432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.
Like I said, if you find personal fullfillment and happiness, I think it's great.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post
Damn! You should open a brewery!

Ostomo, yea, I wouldn't be able to just 'not work' maybe it's a protestant work ethic thing from my parents, or just the need to be a part of something larger than myself. Even if I was a lottery billionaire I would just get bored with no job to do.

then again, I would probably just be busy running a brewery
I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That's great if you're happy.

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.
Yes, that's me. If I was ever fully retired of in this fellas situation I would need to have a wood shop or a machine shop or some way of keeping busy. You can only drink so much beer. Even when I am working and we get a little slow my skin starts crawling. I think I'd be a fat alcoholic.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #16
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 163 Times on 125 Posts

No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts

You're living my dream life. I'd love to not do anything but cook and brew.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #18
roastquake
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Aiken, SC
Liked 249 Times on 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.
I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.
I work when we are taking a trip outta the country or long vacay. And we are never having kids. And I dont "sit around the house" and sorry for you that its what it takes for you to feel like a "man".

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
Ostomo517
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Norton Shores, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post

I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.
I think it is a natural transition like you said.