water to grain ratio for PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitteral

Reaction score
Palmer's book seems to recommend 1.5 to 2 quarts of water per lb of grain for mashing. In the partial mash discussions on this board and elsewhere, I've seen ratios as low as 1.25 or even 1 quart per lb of grain. Are there any significant drawbacks to going as low as this ratio when partial mashing?

I have a 2 gallon round cooler that I'm considering for partial mashing. At those lower water/grain ratios I guess I could easily PM 4 to 5 lbs of grain, right?

Or should I really go to a 3 gallon or larger cooler?

There is another thread running about a thinner mash. There is a full discussion on there.

A partial mash should be no different to a full mash. A lot depends on your sytem.

I personally us 2.61kg/L

I think 2 qt/lb is about right for steeping grains, but like it was mentioned above, a better ratio for mashing is about 1.25 - 1.5 qt/lb.

If money or storage space isn't that big of an issue, and you need to convert anyway, I would get your hands on a 5 gal round cooler (<$20). Grain is cheaper than extract, and the more you can mash, the better your final product will be, IMO.

At 1.25 qts/lb, you'll only be able to mash a little under 5 lbs of grain in a 2 gal.

With a 5 gal, you can get up to around 12 lbs, which is nice if you have the future desire and capability to go AG.

Latest posts

Back